Chapter 11. The Hole in the Wall

Donatello had begun many tests. Some, like analyzing Carrie's DNA would take much longer. Others wouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

     As Donnie worked, he sparked an interesting conversation with Carrie.

     "I know you said before you weren't exactly sure what you're dad does... but do you have any idea at all?"

     Carrie thinks for a moment. "I don't know. I don't think about it much. Why?"

     Donnie shrugs. "Just curious. You know, from one scientist to another."

     Donatello analyzes the blood samples he had taken under a microscope. No sort of shock or surprise crosses his face, which worries Leo. All the scientist does is write down whatever it is he saw on a notepad.

     "He kept a lot of secrets from me," Carrie says abruptly. "I'm not oblivious. I know he was working on some serious stuff. He never let me see or go into his office."

     "Did you though?" Donnie asks.

     "Go into his office?" Carrie shakes her head. "No. I was curious, but I never needed to."

     The conversation quickly died after that and so did the rest of Donatello's tests– at least –what he could finish at this time. The scientist was able to mask his excitement and fear while Carrie was still in the room. The tests he ran gave him shocking results, but he didn't want to start a panic. His remarkable ability to remain composed, however, gave Leonardo the feeling of panic. He thought Donnie hadn't found anything. Of course, there were still other tests to be completed, but if they resulted in nothing significant, Leonardo would have nothing to go off of and the team would have no leads.

     "Thank you, Carrie," Donnie says.

     She shrugs. "Yeah, of course. Does this mean I can go back to sleep?"

     "Yeah."

     Carrie hops off the table. "Great. Goodnight."

     The turtles were left with April. Donatello clicked his pen vigorously.

     "What was that about?" April asks, hands on her hips.

     "We have to head to Carrie's apartment right now," Donnie says.

     Leo frowns. "Why? Did you find something?"

     "I found.. something. The science side of me is going crazy. The practical, realistic, side of me is.. scared."

     "Wow. Great." Raphael crosses his arms and rolls his eyes. "Thanks for filling us in."

     Donnie rolls his eyes. "There are slightly different cells in her bloodstream. They're... I don't even know the words to describe them. I'll have to further inspect them, but that could take a couple of days."

     "That's it?" Mikey pouts. "I thought it would be cooler."

     "This is cool!" Donnie shouts. He quickly covers his mouth. "Something had to have caused this mutation. I'm betting it's whatever formula Shredder is after. It's literally in her blood."

     "Wait." Leonardo holds his hand out. "Back up. You want to go to Carrie's apartment why?"

     "I can work with what I have here, but if we want to speed this along and try to be one step ahead of Shredder, we need to go see if there is any evidence Noah may have left. Even the tiniest could help."

     Raphael frowns. "That place was ransacked. Whatever was important there, the Foot took."

     "But they didn't find what they were looking for," Donnie says. "We heard Shredder. He doesn't have the formula, or whatever, and is trying to get Noah to recreate it."