Chapter 1

The early morning sun intruded into Adaline's living room, casting a spotlight on the numerous empty food containers and dirty clothes that littered the grey carpet. An aroma of two-day-old Chinese takeaway filled the air, but Adaline didn't notice; nor did she care.

Her home, once shown great care, had become something quite unrecognisable to her friends. Each had urged Adaline to seek help, had offered their own support. Offers of a deep clean, to cook a meal. Anything to help her out of the slump she found herself in. It all fell on deaf ears. Adaline couldn't imagine doing anything other than sitting alone in the solitude of her grief.

She'd loved no one like she had Christopher. From the instant they had met, she knew she would marry him. With his tall, muscular physique, piercing blue eyes, shaggy blonde hair and witty sense of humour, Christopher had brightened a room with such ease that often Adaline envied her husband. She had always been the quieter of the two; the figure hunched in the corner, silently observing and smiling at anyone who looked her way.

No, Christopher was what one might call the life of the party. And he never tired of Adaline, never questioned his love for her despite their vast differences. Often, he reminded her of the beauty he saw in her hazel eyes, told her how much he loved the coconut scent that embraced his nostrils when he held her close, her brunette curls draped over his chest.

Their marriage had been passionate and exciting. They'd spend hours laughing together before furiously ripping each other's clothing and kissing every inch of one another. The sex was great. More than great. It was excellent. Never had Adaline reached such climaxes until she met him. Just one look passed between them and they would both be excited for the other.

A deep sigh emerged from Adaline as she pulled a tall glass of water to her lips. She'd barely left her home since the news of her husband's death three weeks prior. It was as though a part of her had laid beside him in the pine coffin, entwined once more, hidden away from the rest of the world.

She'd spent the better part of a decade with Christopher in her life and couldn't understand how she was to now continue without him. Daily tasks seemed alien without his throaty laugh filling the house. His side of the bed untouched made the room feel cold and unwelcoming. She couldn't face sleeping alone in the bed they'd shared many nights, laughing and talking until the sun broke through with its cheerful dance displayed on the walls.

Sometimes, if she listened hard enough, Adaline could almost hear Christopher whispering her name from somewhere in the room she'd be standing in. She'd smile and answer, walking around the house in search of him before the cruel truth would punch her in the gut and the grief would become unbearable.

She'd spent the first few days still laying his work clothes out, making him coffees and dinner and reaching out a hand for him during the night. She hated the constant reminder that the person she loved had been so spitefully taken from her. A selfish drunk who thought a five-minute drive home from a night of celebrating would be fine. Five minutes that cost her an entire lifetime. The driver, some slim twenty something man who lived at home with his parents, was still walking free enjoying his life until the courts decided his sentencing. He was looking at fourteen years in prison with a two-year disqualification from driving for the crash he caused.

Fourteen years. Adaline had raged and sobbed to her best friend when she had found out. What was fourteen years compared to the life sentence Adaline and Christopher had received? In fourteen years, he would be free to live his life- free to start a family, buy a home, start a career. Anything he wanted. Everything that was no longer an option for the married couple. Adaline and Christopher had been desperately trying for a baby before the crash. Had spent many months lying awake discussing baby names.