Chapter 22 - Adaline

The cottage was a buzz of chatter, people milling around a sea of black. The new year had long since passed. People Adaline hadn't seen in years, people she could have sworn she did not know hugging her, offering their condolences before wiping their tears and skulking towards the table laden with food. She'd lost count of how many people had bombarded her since Dottie's death, casserole dish in hand. Far too much for she and her brother to get through so most found itself tipped into her bin untouched. She wanted to scream at them, tell them they couldn't possibly understand how she was feeling. She kept quiet, thanking and hugging back. Dean had hid upstairs, the crowd too much for him. Leaving her alone to tackle the crowd. Elliot was never too far away, ready to save her when someone became too intense. For that she was thankful. Her eyes made contact with a younger male, not too much older than she was by her assumptions. He'd joined the crowd alongside Mr and Mrs Wood who had lived three doors down ever since before Adaline and her family had moved in. She wondered who he was, perhaps their son who she'd not seen since before her father had passed. He looked different, older of course, a beard claiming his face and a stomach evident beneath his suit. His eyes met her, a tip of the head sent her way before he milled with the other guests.

"Thank you Sam," she said to the short, chubby elderly man before her.
"Dan," he corrected placing a kiss on her cheek and walking to the food greedy eyes wide as he spotted the profiteroles. Her stomach growled, letting her know she still hadn't eaten since the night before - that itself had only been a few mouthfuls of stew that was significantly inferior to her mother's, not that she would tell Mary so. After all, she'd tried and that's what counted. A figure stood beside her, dominating the space with ease. The stranger with the Woods. His hand gripped her upper arm, guiding her to a quiet spot near the staircase.
"I'm so sorry for your loss,"
Adaline hated that phrase. Had heard it far too much over the fortnight since Dottie had passed. What did it mean anyway? She hadn't lost her mother. She wasn't somewhere in the world waiting to be found. She was dead. Nothing could bring her back. She fought back the grimace that surfaced.
"Thanks," was all she could muster. She turned to leave but his grip tightened.
"I'm happy to keep looking after the garden, Dottie loved it as I'm sure you know. It's the least I can do. For free of course,"
Of course. Adaline hadn't known who cared for the garden her mother had been unable to tend. She and Dean were still unsure what to do with the cottage. It made the most sense for Dean and his family to keep it, to move in. After all, Adaline had no children and was far too old to start a family.
He pulled her forward, in a hug too tight. Too claustrophobic. Adaline wanted to scream, to tell him to let her go but her mouth wouldn't cooperate. His breath was warm on her ear, alcohol invading her nostrils. She felt sick. She looked for Elliot, for Dean. Desperate for someone to provide her a reason to excuse herself. She saw no-one.
"You know, you should let me take you out. You need someone to look after you now," his face was turned up in a sneer as he leaned into her, inches from her face. His mouth pushed against hers, hand holding her head so she couldn't escape. She cried, pinned against the bannister unable to move.

In an instant he was falling sideways, Elliot stood in his place, face red and twisted. The man stood, eyes wide as he took in the scene before him.
"Never mind. She's a slag anyway, you're welcome to -" Elliot's fist connected with his jaw before he could finish his sentence.
"Out. Now!" Fistful of his blazer, Elliot pulled him towards the door - curious onlookers rearing their heads for a better look at the debacle unfolding before him. Two fully grown men scuffling one another. Dean came out of nowhere, grabbing the stranger helping Elliot evict him from the premises. His voice bellowed through the door, fists pounding. Elliot spun, anger raging through him. Finding Adaline, still stuck in place by the staircase, he beelined to her, grabbed her wrists and dragged her to the spare room.

He glared at her as he slammed the door behind him. She'd never seen him so angry. So hurt. She couldn't understand why he was angry at her. She hadn't done anything. He paced, hands in his hair not looking at her. If he were a dragon he'd have steam coming from his nose, Adaline thought stepping back from him. He stood forward, pinning her against the wardrobe.
"How could you do that to me?" He said, almost a whisper. She blinked confused. What exactly HAD she done to him?
"You're just like her" he spat.
"Like who?" Adaline was genuinely confused, not understanding what exactly was happening. They'd not yet argued in their relationship, things going incredibly well until now.
"Laura god damn it! How could you be all over him right in front of me?"
"I wasn't all over him! He made a move on me. I tried to get him off but he was too strong," she sobbed now, exhausted from the events of the day. His face softened, hardened and softened again. He pulled her close sighing.
"I didn't know. I'm sorry,"
"No. You didn't know you just assumed. I don't know what Laura did but I sure as hell would never do that to you,"

Adaline's jaw fell open as Elliot relayed his relationship with Laura. She couldn't fathom how he had coped. Having his girlfriend cheat was bad enough. To not know who had fathered Bonnielola, to spend nine months wondering if she was his child, to have a name constantly reminding you of her deceit - Laura having combined the two names both potential fathers wanted - was awful enough. But to find out almost a year later that your own sister was dating your ex girlfriend. That they had been sleeping together throughout your relationship. We're now engaged and expecting their first child through IVF. That the mother of your child was faithful this time round but couldn't give you the same courtesy. It was no wonder Elliot barely spoke about his family. And poor Bonnielola. The confusion she must feel knowing her aunt to also be her step-mum, her unborn sibling to also be her cousin. It sounds like something off Jeremy Kyle not little old New Lawke, Adaline had thought. He looked so vulnerable and lost as he finished, staring blankly at the floor before them. Adaline held him close, stroking his hair saying nothing. She didn't know what she could say. Sorry your ex did that, don't worry I won't sleep with your brother didn't quite seem appropriate.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything,"
Elliot pulled out of her embrace; furiously wiping the tears from his face. Clearing his throat loudly he stood holding a hand out to her.
"Come on, let's go and help Dean clear up,"
Taking his hand in her own, the warmth shooting through her arm, Adaline held her gaze on his hazel eyes.
"Don't ever apologise for opening up. For being human and having feelings. It's what I'm here for,"
He nodded once, turning to open the door.

Dean had managed to clear most of the aftermath of Dottie's wake, Mary having taken Joshua home ready for school the following day - much to his dismay. Tackling a room each, the trio quickly found the cottage back to its homely state. Free of food, of people, and of noise. They sat in silence Dottie's afternoon gameshow A low humming in the background. Holding her coffee mug into the air, Adaline proposed a toast.
"Mum, thank you for being our rock, for being the glue that held the family together, for being the best grandparent there ever was. We'll miss you and we'll never forget you. Cheers."
Dean and Elliot mumbled their response before each took a sip the hot liquid warming their throats. The silence resumed no one knowing what to say or how to act. Rubbing his hands on his legs, instead.
"Right, I best be off. I'm back at work tomorrow, if you need anything just text Mary. I love you Addie,"
Without saying another word he left the thud of the front door closing reverberating through the house. Elliot held Adaline's and in his own squeezing softly. She was thankful for his presence, thankful to not be alone. The cottage felt far too big without Dottie there. Without the sound of her slippers sliding across the floor. She and Dene have discussed what they planned to do with the property after the will reading next week. Adaline had suggested he, Mary and Joshua take up its residency. After all at 33 and childless, Adaline saw little hope for a family of her own. And really the cottage needed a family. Leaning into Elliot her head resting on his shoulder, Adaline sighed. She knew time was slowly approaching for her to return back to her own home. After the months with her mother and the hustle and bustle of her brother's family life, the thought of being alone was daunting. She had found herself wondering whether she and Elliot's relationship would last despite the distance being short. She prayed they would. She couldn't stomach the thought of losing anyone else in any manner.
"I love you Elliot," She whispered hoping the tears would not fall.