Chapter 29 - Elliot

The hospital was too loud. He needed out. Needed to breathe. He felt so completely helpless watching Adaline sob as their son lay beneath wires in a room that felt miles from their own. He'd never seen a child so small. Bonnielola had been a screaming 6lb5 bright red bundle letting the world know she had entered. They didn't even have a name for him. He needs a name! Stepping into the fresh air he collapsed against the wall catching his breath. Passers by watched him curiously as they made their way into the hospital. He ignored them. What did they know?

Mary answered on the first dial tone.
"How is she? How is the baby?"
"She's okay. Physically at least. He is in an incubator, they don't know much yet," Elliot broke as the words left his mouth. "What do I do? I don't know what to do."
"Listen here. You take five minutes, ten minutes whatever you need. Call yourself. Cry if you need to. Scream if you need to. Then you haul your ass back into that hospital and you hold Adaline close. She needs you. You need her. Your son needs you both. You need to work through this together or it will break you. Dean and I are a phone call away if you need anything okay?"
"Okay. I'm sorry Mary,"
"Hey! Stop that right now. You have no reason to apologise. None of this is your fault. You're allowed to be angry or scared or anything you're feeling right now. If I hear you apologise again I'll get Dean to slap some sense into you do you hear me?"
Elliot chuckled softly.
"I hear you"
"Good! Now breathe. I've got to go sort the kids out for bed, Bonnielola has been an absolute angel so don't worry about her. We'll speak soon. Our love to you all,"
The line clicked dead leaving Elliot alone with his thoughts.

Adaline was asleep when he returned. Sitting himself in the uncomfortable armchair he rested his head back and closed his eyes. Sleep came easily. It was dark when he awoke, Adaline still asleep beside him. He blinked, eyes adjusting to his surroundings. His stomach growled. Standing, body aching from the uncomfortable position it had been forced into, he stretched and went in search of a vending machine. Armed with enough snacks to feed a small army, he made his way back. Adaline was just stirring when he sat back on the chair dropping the chocolate and crisps onto his lap. Small smile on his lips, he held out a Kinder Bueno in her direction. Her favourite chocolate. She took it gratefully almost ripping the wrapper apart in her desperation to get to the sweetness inside. Neither spoke for fear of breaking.

"Sorry love, just here to do your observations," a cheery nurse announced wheeling a blood pressure machine behind her. Adaline said nothing, staring into the distance as the nurse worked.
"Do you know how our son is?" Elliot asked leaning forward. The nurse shot him a sympathetic look packing the equipment away.
"I'll find out for you. One moment,"
He watched her scurry away turning left towards the reception desk. Moments later she returned smile still plastered on her face.
"The doctor says everything is looking good so far. He'll come by to speak to you personally as soon as he's finished with his patient,"
Elliot nodded thanking her.

The doctor arrived three hours later, Elliot and Adaline incredibly frustrated by this point.
"I'm sorry it took so long, we had an emergency come up," he explained flicking through Adaline's notes. "These first 24 hours are crucial. If all continues as it is, you should be able to take him home in a week or two. I'm afraid that's all I can tell you at the moment. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask,"
Elliot watched as Adaline rolled onto her side and sobbed silently into her pillow. Crawling onto the bed next to her he held her right.
"He'll be fine baby. We've just got to stay strong,"

——————-
After what had felt like the longest two weeks of their life, Adaline and Elliot sat in front of the doctor. It had been an emotional turmoil for the pair having to leave their son alone in the hospital every night. Neither had slept much, their eyes rimmed with darkness. Adaline sat picking her skin next to Elliot who placed a hand over hers. The doctor cleared his throat once before spinning the chair to face them.
"Your son's progress-" he began.
"Ethan," Adaline corrected. She and Elliot had spent hours contemplating a name for their son, one that truly meant something. They'd been torn between Arthur after Adaline's father and Ethan - a name they'd learned had meant strong and firm. Given the fragile state he had entered the world; Ethan had been an easy winner.
"I apologise. Ethan's progress is very encouraging. He's become stronger each day. I'm confident enough to say I see no reason why we can't discharge him tomorrow,"
Adaline collapsed into Elliot both sobbing. He was coming home. Their son was coming home.

Walking through the front door of the cottage, the sound of Bonnielola and Joshua laughing greeted Elliot and Adaline. Elliot gently carried the car seat walking slower than he ever had before for fear of hurting its fragile contents. Mary raced out of the kitchen flinging a tea towel over her shoulder.
"Let me get a good look at the handsome fella," she gushed as Elliot carefully took his son out of the car seat. Though still tiny, he had grown well over the two weeks.
"Oh you guys! He's beautiful. Dean get in here! Come see your nephew!"
"Blimey look at him. Next Arsenal striker I'm telling you," Dean boasted from the doorway. Elliot shook his head big smile on his face.
"No way mate, United for sure,"
Bonnielola padded towards the room, standing next to Dean wary eyes watching Mary pass Ethan to Adaline for a feed.
"Hey baby, come meet your brother," Elliot said soothingly, holding out a hand for her. She looked at it head tilted before reaching out.

Bonnielola sat on the sofa, Ethan on her lap carefully cradled in Elliot's hands. She pointed and smiled down at the baby.
"He's smiling at me daddy," she giggled.
"That's because he loves you. He knows you're the best big sister," Adaline smiled snapping photos on her phone. Ethan cried loudly wriggling on Elliot's hands. Arms raised in the air, eyes wide Bonnielola tensed.
"Get it off me! I don't like it" she screeched to the amusement of the adults, Elliot quickly obliging. Nestled with a bottle, Ethan stopped crying and suckled noisily. Everyone watched quietly, besotted with the tiny Human before them. When he burped a chorus of ahhhs sounded.

Elliot rested his head against the back of the sofa, Ethan safely in his Moses basket. Adaline leant over refusing to take her eyes off him for a second. He was home. Safe where he belonged. Elliot let out a happy sigh. With Bonnielola playing in her room above them, Dean, Mary and Joshua having left to provide some much needed space and privacy, everything was just perfect. Everything was complete. His family would never suffer as he had. As long as he lived Elliot vowed to provide and love both of his children in a way he had been denied.
"Let the madness begin," he whispered as sleep took its claim.