Chapter 5

The Next day:

The morning sun shines high over Woodsboro town square. Cars come to life, townsfolk walk around as the picture postcard community awakens from a restless sleep. Most of the town has also heard about the attack on Sidney last night.

As Sidney and the Riley family sit down for breakfast, they watch the news as they talk about Sidney and her mother.

Reporter: Sidney Prescott, who escaped a vicious attack last night, is the daughter of Maureen Prescott, who was brutally killed last year when convicted murderer Cotton Weary broke into their home and savagely raped and tortured the deceased. (Mason puts a comforting hand on Sidney's shoulder) Cotton Weary is currently awaiting appeal for the death sentence handed down after the young Sidney testified against him. She was the key witness in the state's case against the-

The tv gets turned off by Dewey, who is in uniform, sits down for breakfast.

Sidney: It's never gonna stop, is it?

Dewey: Billy was released. His cellular bill was clean. He didn't make those calls. We're checking every cellular account in the county. Any calls made to you or Casey Becker are being cross-referenced. It's gonna take some time, but we'll find him.

Tatum: (To Sidney) You okay?

Later:

Once again, reporters line the streets going to students as they make their way to school and ask them questions, hungry and desperate for the student's insight.

Dewey's Jeep pulls up to the front of the school with Tatum in the front seat and Sidney and Mason in the back. They each get out of the Jeep but Sidney stays for a moment.

Dewey: Don't worry, Sid, it's school. You'll be safe here.

Not even 5 seconds later, a reporter then walks up to Sidney.

Reporter: So, how does it feel to be almost brutally butchered?

Dewey: (Pushes the reporter back) Hey! Hey! Leave her alone!

Reporter: People want to know. They have a right to know.

Dewey: Leave her alone.

Reporter: How does it feel?

Dewey: She just wants to get an education. Turn that thing off.

Sidney stops Mason and Tatum as she sees someone familiar.

Tatum: What?

Sidney: Just a sec.

Sidney walks over to a news van, where Gale is sitting in the passenger. Once Gale notices Sidney, the reporter immediately jumps up eyeing the girl.

Gale: Stop right there.

Sidney: I'm. It here to fight. I just need to talk.

Gale: Kenny, camera. Now.

Sidney: Off the record. No cameras.

Gale: Forget it then.

Sidney: Please? You owe me.

Gale: I owe you shit.

Sidney; You owe my mother!

Gale: (Stops Kenny) Your mother's murderer was last year's hottest court case. Somebody was gonna write a book about it.

Sidney: Right. And it had to be you with all your lies and bullshit theories.

Gale: What is your problem? You got what you wanted. Cotton Weary's in jail. They're gonna gas him. A book is not gonna change that.