Chapter 3

"Ugh! Great!" Drew muttered to himself. He was getting late. And to make things worse, the band on his wrist started vibrating to indicate a call.

Drew slapped his band and a hologram of Judy appeared before him.

"Drew, it's three already. Where are you?" she asked.

"I am sorry. Something popped up. I am actually on my way," Drew replied. However, in reality, he was still at home and not even dressed to go out.

"Come fast," Judy said before ending the call.

Drew walked over to his wardrobe – a floating space where all the items hovered above the ground, aligned together by a strong force. Inside his wardrobe, there were more than a dozen base clothes. The name was given to them due to the fact that they were simply black-colored material with no designs on them. The designs were on Drew's phone.

Drew chose a hoodie to wear for the outing. He removed his current clothes and put on the hoodie. Once that was done, he browsed through the various designs he had purchased online on his phone. As soon as he selected the design, the hoodie he wore adjusted the pixels on it to form that design.

With the design now selected, he immediately headed out of his apartment and took the elevator to the ground floor. Once he was out of his building and into the world outside, the lively atmosphere of Mecca greeted him. Most of the buildings around him were more than a thousand meters in height. Hologram projectors had been placed on the buildings which displayed advertisements. On the road, electromagnetic cars were zooming past him at a speed of more than 700 miles.

The entire roadways had taken a turn a few centuries ago with the introduction of electromagnetic cars. Instead of making contact with the road, they would hover a few feet above the magnetic track due to repulsion between magnets, thus removing any friction between the two. Due to the same repulsion, collision between cars had become impossible as well, almost eradicating car accidents.

The concept of driving was removed as well. All that needed to be done was to enter your destination in the computer and allow the magnetic arches at regular intervals to guide you to your destination.

Traveling by foot had become a lot easier as well. Since everything was linked to each other through a network, a touch on Drew's phone made thrusters emerge everywhere around the surface of Drew's shoes. Once his shoes were synced with the movements of the band Drew wore on his wrist, Drew raised his arm ahead and the shoes carried him forward at the speed of hundred miles. Many other pedestrians had also chosen Drew's way of travel and Drew had to constantly tilt his arms to dodge past them.

It took him nearly five minutes to reach the Diamond's square, dubbed as the liveliest place in the entire Mecca. It spread across a mile in all four directions with buildings all around the square. Many street performers and bands were showcasing their talents to the large crowd that was present there. Hologram mascots added more life to the place by advertising their brands.

Since it was impossible to find anyone in the crowd, Drew shared his location with Judy. A while later, he saw Ava, Zack, and Judy walking in his direction.

"Sorry guys, I was late," Drew said.

"We were about to go without you," Zack smiled.

"So, what are we going to do here?" Drew asked.

"Have you ever been to Diamond's Square before?" Zack asked.

"Yep, twice," Drew replied.

"Twice? We come here every week," Zack laughed.