Chapter 10

"You are dead". This was the hundredth time Drew had listened to this voice in the last few days.

"Well, what happened this time?" Zack asked as soon as Drew came out of the simulation room.

"Should have paid better attention to a building collapsing. But it was better than getting shot by those soldiers. Their bullets hurt," Drew said.

"Yep, we had to make it a bit realistic. Anyway, the good news is that you broke your high score by surviving for 53 minutes. But your numbers are still not very impressive," Zack said.

"What is your highest score in the survival simulation?" Drew asked.

"12 hours. And the only reason why I died was that I was starving and out of energy," Zack said.

"So, do I have to do this simulation again? I am getting quite bored of it," Drew protested.

"Yeah, I can understand. This is why I think I should start teaching you how to actually fight," Zack said.

"So, do I get to fire a gun?" Drew asked.

"Of course." Zack fished out a gun from his holster and handed it to Drew.

"Just a simple handgun," Zack said, tapping at the shining body of the weapon. "It is the simplest weapon you will encounter and we have much more badass stuff than this, but we'll start with it."

"So how do I fire it?" Drew asked.

"Well, first of all, all the guns we have are programmed to be used only by members of the Rebels. So, connect it to your phone first," Zack instructed.

Drew scanned for nearby devices on his screen and established a connection between him and the gun.

"Great. Now we can get started. You will see a small slot at the center of the grip. Just press down your middle finger there. Do not release it until I tell you," Zack said.

Drew did as he was instructed. As soon as his finger made contact with the oval slot, the screen at the top of the gun instantly buzzed into life, showing the percentage of heat building up. It took half a minute for the percentage to reach 100.

"Should I release now?" Drew asked.

"Yep. Point the gun at yourself and release it," Zack said.

"You are kidding, right?"

"Not about this."

"Do you want me to blow up my brain?" Drew shouted.

"Trust me. Nothing like that will happen."

"Why? Is it not a real gun?"

"No. I am just lying to get rid of you forever," Zack muttered. "Of course, it is not a real gun. Now do it."

"Are you sure?" Drew asked, hesitatingly turning the muzzle of the gun towards him.

"Yep. Trust me. Now do it," Zack said.

Drew switched his sight between the gun and Zack multiple times, making sure that Zack was not messing with him before releasing his fingers.

Immediately, a hot gust of air erupted from the gun along with a bright beam of pure energy, which heated the environment around Drew. The shot went straight for his face and then disappeared out of sight.

It took a while for Drew to recover from the shock.

"Cute animation," Drew snorted.

"Well, wasn't it a fun experience?" Zack asked, "And admit it, you actually thought it was real."