Chapter 7

"So, what do you say now?" Zack asked as soon as Drew came out of the room.

"I know your cause is right. But this decision will put my life at risk forever. I still need some time to think," Drew said.

"Take the time you want. But as I said, you cannot leave this place until the decision is made," Zack replied.

"What happens if I decide not to join? I already know all your secrets. Will you just allow me to walk away?"

"You are right. We cannot allow you to walk away, knowing all you know. So, we are prepared for this situation," Zack explained, "Follow me."

Zack led Drew in front of a huge double door. A screen next to it displayed the words 'Restricted Access' in flashing red.

"Not everyone has access to what lies beneath this door. But luckily, I do," Zack said, stepping in front of the scanner. The scanner scanned them with a laser light that went back and forth across their body multiple times.

"Scanning Successful. 1 Authorized User and 1 Unauthorized User. Will you like to allow this person, Zack?" a computer voice asked.

"Yes," Zack replied.

The doors opened on Zack's response, revealing another corridor.

"This area contains the Administration Room which is handled by Judy and Ava's lab. You will work with Ava there if you decide to join us. Other than that, this place possesses armories, secured data, and other secrets," Zack explained.

Zack passed through a few rooms before finally stopping outside the scariest-looking door. This one was reinforced with strong veranium that seemed strong enough to survive a nuke. Another scanner scanned them and repeated the procedure of asking Zack for permission before granting them access.

The door opened to reveal a small hospital bed that had a helmet lying on it. The helmet had multiple wires protruding from it, which connected it to a large metal box.

"Do you know what it is?" Zack asked.

Unfortunately, Drew knew. He took a gulp before replying, "This is the machine that makes you forget stuff, right? It produces a strong shock, giving you a trauma, which makes it impossible to remember what happened recently."

"You know much about technology. This will make you forget your time with us," Zack said. "I heard that your father was behind this invention as well."

"Not completely. I have some notes written by him. But they appear to be incomplete. He may have contributed to it," Drew said.

"Whatever. The point is, whenever you make your decision, just let me know," Zack said. "By the way, will you like to visit Ava's lab? She will be delighted to show you around."

"Sure, I will love to," Drew replied.

He followed Zack out of the room and deeper into the corridor until they stopped outside another door. The screen next to it displayed "Ava's Lab" in purple. The scanner scanned both of them again.

"Visitors detected. Please wait for your majesty, Queen Ava the magnificent, to accept your request," the computer voice said.

"Yep, that's Ava for you," Zack grinned.

"Entry access granted. Welcome to Ava's Lab. To avoid any fire accidents, please do not touch anything. Thank you," the door to Ava's lab opened.

"I try to avoid entering this place. So let me know when you have made your decision," Zack said before departing.

"Welcome Drew," Ava smiled, staring at him with eyes that, like her hairs and lab coat, were also purple. This was the effect of lenses she wore, of course.