Chapter 3

Thursday, August 24th

Tian looked at him.

Tian smiled at him.

Tian noticed him, too.

Tian maybe, probably, almost certainly wanted to talk to him.

For the last 18 hours these thoughts have been circling through Phupha's mind over and over again, and he's unable to suppress the little smile that keeps showing up on his face every time he remembers the way Tian's eyes rested on him. Tian's smile was even more beautiful than Phupha imagined. It kept him awake for most of the night, and is the first thing he thinks of when he wakes up, giddiness flooding his veins at the memory, and the thought that maybe today he will finally manage to speak to him.

For the first time in a long time, Phupha actually takes his time getting ready, bothers to style his hair and shaves extra carefully. Usually, he keeps himself neat but isn't too concerned about the way he looks. He has nothing to prove to anyone, no one to impress in Pha Pun Dao, and wearing cologne means his scent may alert his subjects to his presence, so he normally skips it. Today though, he wants to look his best, because there's actually someone to impress. And while vanity has never been a trait of his, he can't deny the little confidence boost he gets from looking into the mirror and thinking that he actually looks presentable. A little bit more like someone a guy like Tian may be interested in.

Standing in front of his closet, he's contemplating whether to wear the dark green T-shirt he brought along, soft and comfortable, but worn out and the colour already fading, or if he should pick the white linen button up that he knows makes his shoulders look extra broad and his hips trim when he puts it into his jeans. It's constricting and terribly inconvenient though when he has to get down on the floor to take a low angle shot or climb up somewhere to get a high-angle. He also doesn't want to get ahead of himself, feels like he should temper his excitement a little and not wear his best shirt for the sole purpose of maybe talking to Tian today. So he goes for the more casual option, shoulders his equipment and checks his phone one last time before heading out of the room.

Only to turn around on his heel again and change into the button up. He needs all the confidence he can get.

* * * * * *

The clouds are hanging low in the sky today, thin and wispy, dimming the sunlight into a soft glow, and creating the perfect opportunity for some more dramatic, atmospheric landscape shots.

Phupha ventures over to an artificial waterfall that flows into the stream feeding the lake. He gets as close to it as possible, crouches down and aims his camera upwards, wanting to capture the imposing force of the water crashing down, framed by bamboo and the streaks of clouds above it. It's a pale impression of the real waterfall he passes everyday in his forest, but it still inspires a certain serenity in him, the sound of rushing water allowing him to retreat into his thoughts.

Lost in his work, Phupha thinks about what he could say to Tian. He needs an opener of sorts, wants to be prepared for the moment when he approaches him, and have his words lined up in advance to feel secure, and not make a fool of himself. Flirting isn't necessarily Phupha's strong suit, but he desperately wants to get this right.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit here?" Too nonchalant, and too unlike him. It also doesn't offer an opportunity to continue talking.

He notices the Koi swimming through the pool, their coppery scales shimmering just beneath the surface of the dark water like excited little embers. It'd make an amazing shot if he managed to position his camera right above the surface, the fish just barely submerged, and the waterfall flowing behind them. He'd have to get down on his stomach for that though, and it's exactly the reason why wearing the white shirt was a terrible idea.