06

Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic

- Oscar Wilde

||||

Regulus and Sky didn't stay in the Astronomy tower for too long. The blonde Hufflepuff announced that she was hungry and desperately craved ice-cream so the Slytherin agreed to show her to the kitchens.

"You have to tickle the pear." He informed as they reached a portrait of a bowl of fruits.

"Tickle the pear?" Sky raised her eyebrows, bewildered. "In the nicest way possible Reggie — how drunk were the founders when they decided on this?"

Regulus chuckled, opening the door to the kitchens. "Ladies first." He bowed dramatically.

"Well then stop wasting time, Miss Black." She stepped in quickly before he could retaliate. The kitchen was exactly like the Great hall except it had tons of house-elfs scrambling around, trying to get work done.

"Master Regulus! " A particularly peppy elf greeted the Slytherin as he walked in beside Sky. The elf bowed deeply, eyes flitting towards Sky. "Cindy sees you've brought a friend."

"Hey, Cindy." Regulus grinned. "This is Sky Greene."

Cindy bowed towards Sky. "Pleasure meeting you Miss Greene. How can Cindy assist you?"

Regulus glanced at Sky who was still observing the kitchen curiously. "We'd like ice-cream. Any flavor except fruity ones." Sky turned to Regulus, surprised. "And two hot chocolates, three marshmallows on top, please." Cindy nodded brightly and bustled off.

"You remember." Sky smiled faintly. 

"Always." Regulus shrugged as they sat down. "So... do you still cycle?"

"The real question is," Sky leaned closer, her chin propped up on her hand. "Do you?"

Regulus shook his head. "No, I don't own a bicycle."

"Well, if that isn't the saddest thing I've ever heard." Cindy handed them cups of hot chocolate and a bowl of ice-cream. "Yay, food! "

Regulus laughed as she ate her ice-cream with a blissful expression. "You haven't lost your love for ice-cream."

"Please," She sipped her hot chocolate. "Ours is an epic love and it is eternal. I'll kill anyone who claims otherwise." 

Regulus tried to bring his spoon into her ice-cream, seeing he had only asked for a hot chocolate. Sky slapped his hand away, picking the bowl and keeping it out of reach. "No."

"Oh, come on! "

"Absolutely not. Get your own."

"You're going to steal mine." Sky shrugged, not denying the accusation. 

The Slytherin gave up and moodily turned away from Sky who was devouring her ice-cream. "So, house-elfs are your friends?" The blonde asked, noticing how he seemed to know each and every elf and they were very friendly towards him too.

"Yeah." He nodded. "People are disappointing, house-elfs aren't."

"People suck." She clinked her cup of hot chocolate against his. "Which one is your best friend?" Sky asked, her eyes roaming the place as if guessing herself. Regulus pursed his lips, feeling as if she was teasing him but she seemed to be pretty genuine. 

"Our house-elf back home. Kreacher."

Sky nodded. "You know, you're different. I've heard that the Black family are pure-blood fanatics and consider everyone else low level. But you aren't like that. You talk to house-elfs and — me. I mean, I'm a muggle-born. You should hate me."

Regulus looked into her ocean blue eyes and gave her a reassuring look. "I could never hate you, Sky. No matter what."

||||

Sky ran across the streets and towards the gate of her house, her eyes wide and senses alert. Carefully making her way into the eerily silent house, she had a terrible feeling about what she could see.

Sky clapped her hand to her mouth, a sob ripping through her throat once she spotted her father's body laying still on the carpeted floor. The clean white, which her mother had maintained for so long, was now drenched in blood.

"No, no DAD!" She shook him incessantly, trying to wake him up although deep down she knew that he was gone forever. "Dad, wake up, please!"

Standing up unsteadily, she hobbled upstairs and let out a scream when she spotted her mother, and two siblings laying motionlessly on the ground. Crumpling hopelessly to the floor, she sobbed wishing desperately that the inescapable pain would end. She looked at her little sister, Abigail's blonde hair falling over her face. The little girl had so much of her life to live but now she could never do it.

Sky cried harder, closing her eyes and wanting nothing more than to not feel. She screamed her lungs out in pain, tears burning her eyes.

She was entirely alone, and she hated it.

||||

Sky shot up in her bed, cold beads of sweat running down her face. Breathing unsteadily, she paced around the dorm unable to get those horrible images of her family's dead corpses out of her head.

"Sky?"

The blonde looked up at Nicole who was eyeing her worriedly. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah." Sky nodded. "Uh, nightmare. Nothing new, you — you can go back to sleep."

But Nicole decided against it, as she walked up to the blonde, placing a hand on her shoulder which caused Sky to flinch away from. "You can talk to me if you want to. It helps."

"Maybe another day." Sky said quietly, still reliving her nightmare. 

Nicole nodded, taking a deep breath and gently wrapping her arms around the blonde who didn't flinch away this time. Instead Sky delicately hugged the brunette, blinking back tears. Hugging Nicole felt comforting, as if she was with her family again. "If you ever want anyone to talk to, I'll be here."

Nicole let go and headed towards her bed. "Hey Nicole?"

The Jordan girl turned to face Sky who smiled lightly at her. "Thank you."

"Anytime." Nicole grinned, opening the curtains of her four-poster bed and laying down. Sky walked downstairs into the common room and sat in front of the fireplace, hugging her knees as she watched the fire die slowly.

She didn't dare fall asleep that night, fearing that she'd see the same. But Sky didn't have to be asleep to live the horrors of her past. They played in front of her even while wide awake. 

After all the past never truly does leave us, does it?