-10- Duncan💫

"So then I told her , Ella it's not you it's me and then I left, said Jake earning a high five from Nick.

Everyone at the table laughed and some of the girls moved closer to hear what Jake was saying. I tried to keep my facial expression calm and not to show that I was anxious. Amber was taking forever and I really wanted to talk to her. It wasn't just about Axel , well mostly it was but I also wanted her to like me. Axel was her best friend and I knew it would mean a lot to him if I got on Amber's good side. Erick was my friend and I was sure I could ask him to help me.

The cafeteria door opened and Amber came in , got herself a tray and sat down waiting for Erick to join her. I hesitated and sat seated where I was. Jake would ask questions and he would definitely be sceptical if I went to go sit with his enemy. This was stupid. If I was going to commit to Axel it meant making compromises.

I went through the plan in my head one last time before getting up. Jake didn't notice as he was too focused on some new girl's breasts. I approached their table and sat when Erick gave me the signal.

"Hey Duncan. Are you looking for Axel? asked Erick.

"I know he's in the library. There's only so many places someone can go in this school. That's not why I'm here.

"If you have something to say, say it , said Amber as she looked at me coldly. Erick gave her a look and she ignored it.

"Amber I don't need you to like me. I don't even need you to be friends with me. All I need is for you to be okay with the fact that I'm gonna be with Axel. All I care about is his feelings and I'm sure you do too. So that's all I wanted to say.

I waved to Erick and headed for the door when I saw Amber running after me. I waited till she threw away her tray then she stood still but the coldness from earlier faded away.

"He always sits at the back. In the library. Good luck Duncan, said Amber giving me a smile before heading to Erick.

I walked out of the cafeteria and headed to the library. The hallways were practically empty and there was ten minutes of break left by the time I got there. The librarian greeted me and went back to typing on her computer. I walked all the way to the back and through the shelves to find him. There were a few kids there and they gave me a look of disgust before going back to reading or writing. I knew why they didn't like me or looked at me weirdly. It was because of Jake.

When you hung out with the guy that beats everyone up for just staring at him, people assumed you were just like him. Truth is I wasn't a violent person but if someone I love was getting beat up, I'd hurt the person who did it. I walked all the way to the back and relief overtook me when I spotted Axel.

He had his face buried in a book and looked like he wasn't really focused. I felt bad for what happened this morning and I knew that I had hurt him. I hadn't pulled away intentionally , I just wasn't ready for the whole school to know about everything.

Everyone including Jake wouldn't understand. He would turn the whole school against me and do whatever he could to hurt Axel. I didn't want that and I knew I couldn't do that to Axel. I wanted to tell people yet their reactions is was scared me the most. I waited a few seconds then sat down in front of Axel and moved his book from his face. He looked up and saw me which must've surprised him. He closed the book then looked at me, waiting but not hoping.

"What're you doing here? asked Axel, trying to avoid my eye contact.

"We said we'd meet at break remember? Besides I had to see you.

"Oh.

"I talked to Amber. She seems okay with me now. Erick must've calmed her.

"Only he knows how. Thanks for talking to her. Saves me the trouble of doing that.