28: Axel💓(last chapter)

"You guys are really back together? Amber asks me as we collect our books to hand them in.

"Why's it so hard for you to believe? I ask as we hand in all our books for the year.

Only another month left and school will be officially over. What a great way to end the year. Amber still doesn't look convinced and only when we walk through the hallways into the parking lot does she speak again.

"Because one moment you were an emotional wreck, the next thing I hear you've left with Duncan.

"Ryan really knows how to tell a story doesn't he? I ask sarcastically.

"Why didn't you just tell me? She asks, clearly still upset about the whole thing.

"Because you called Duncan condescending and a jerk. I didn't think you'd want to know that we were together again.

"I only did that cause you were hurt. I'm happy for you guys.

I smiled at her honesty and hugged her tightly. She smiled and soon we walked to her car to drive home. I didn't bring my car since I was staying at Ambers the entire weekend. Duncan said that he would meet us directly after his day with his family and although I hated spending time away from him, I reluctantly let him spend time with his family. I didn't want him to feel like he couldn't leave me by myself, I told him that I'd be okay and that seemed to comfort him. As we approached Amber's car, kids everywhere were walking around, hugging their friends and taking selfies.

Amber stood for a while, watching everyone hugging their friends and suddenly her face turned to rage. I tried to find who she was looking at when I saw him. Everyone moved to make way as Jake came towards us. I felt fear coursing through me. I didn't want to get beat up again. I could see Amber felt the same, she crossed her arms and waited for him to get close enough to us.

"What do you want? she asks, anger clearly in her voice.

"To apologise. For everything. I know I haven't been the best of people, and I wanna apologise for that.

"What happened to make you say that? Amber asks, still keeping up her angry demeanour.

"I have a boyfriend now, he says, a smile forming the corner of his lips.

Amber let's out a laugh of disbelief. I don't know whether she's relieved that he's changed or finds it funny because she doesn't believe him. Either way, I know she won't ever truly forgive him. The scars cut too deep.

"That's great Jake. I'm happy for you, I say, surprised at how calm my voice sounds. That earns me a look of surprise from both Jake and Amber.

"You really mean that? After everything I've done to you? he asks, as if I've announced something horrendous.

"It's best not to cling to the past. Doesn't make the future any easier.

That earns a smile from Jake. Amber seems to have some new found respect for me because she smiles and hugs me. Once again there is silence until Jake speaks again.

"Would you guys like to meet him? he asks, hope in his voice.

I look at Amber and then back at Jake. She nods and I tell Jake that we would love to. He smiles and directs us to the stadium where more kids are hanging out and playing some loud music. Someone had brought a speaker and the music was echoing everyone's shouts as the cheerleaders were doing some jumps and tricks they had learned from Amber. Everyone was cheering for them and greeting Amber and Jake as we passed them. For once I didn't care that people didn't greet me. I just smiled and followed my two friends.

We made our way through the crowd and found an open piece of field where only a few kids were standing and talking. After a while we saw Nick approaching us and Amber stiffened her posture. If Jake was on our side then surely that meant that Nick would be too. At least I hoped that it would. I squeezed Amber's shoulder as a beacon of support. She had to know that it would be okay. There was no way Nick could do anything with a field of kids standing around. I knew that it would be impossible for him to do so.