Chapter 51

~The Hunter~

Grayson delighted in every bead of sweat that dripped down Detective Brendan's face.

The man was paler than a sheet of paper, his wrinkled hands clasped around a handkerchief to keep them from shaking. He was staring at the radio in the car with utter contempt. Jacobs had obviously picked up something was wrong with the detective but he far too focused on the plan ahead to address it. Grayson was grateful he had allowed him to tag along. It is something Brendan never let him do.

"See anything yet?"

"No, sir. Coast is clear," answered an officer through the radio.

Jacobs sat back with a heavy sigh. They had been waiting for about an hour and for each minute that passed by the more unsteady the ground beneath Grayson felt. Jacobs had put a lot of faith in Grayson's plan and not only did he not want to disappoint but he didn't know what he would do if the Beast wasn't captured. Everything in his life was resting on his quest for revenge. Jacobs and Brendan may have their jobs at stake but Grayson's life was at stake.

He watched as Jacobs checked on the news reports circulating about Bethany's supposed capture. The report was being aired as breaking news every half hour and social media was being flooded with her picture attached to a link on the story. Grayson had retweeted it and urged all of his classmates to spread the news. It would take the murderer living in a cabin in the woods not to come across the report.

"You alright, Detective Brendan?" Grayson leaned forward in his seat in the back of the cop car. Brendan turned his head ever so slightly, just far enough to sneer at him. It was incredibly satisfying to know that in enacting revenge on the Beast he was also getting revenge on Brendan. He was killing two birds with one stone.

He scrunched up his features as if he was summoning any ounce of patience to him. He released the words in a defeated sigh. "I'm fine."

The radio went off, static and beeping invading the charged tension of the car. Everyone visibly shifted their attention to it, quiet and on edge to hear the report.

"The Beast has been spotted and is being apprehended."

Grayson felt his heart begin to race in his chest. Suddenly, it wasn't enough to hear that it was finally happening. He wanted to see it. No. He wanted to be a part of it. The climax of this event could not be neatly packaged away and tied with a ribbon with him only being involved behind the scenes. He wanted more of a struggle - a challenge - something to awaken a deep emotion in him that wasn't pain or affection. He needed to be there and fight.

"Stand down! Do not approach or shoot!" It was Jacob's voice on the radio but he was sitting right in front of him, without the device in his hands. He gaped at the machine. "We have new information. Officers, stand down. Let him go."

Jacobs picked up the walkie. The veins in his forehead were bulging. "This is Jacobs. Take the Beast into custody! Do not stand down."

His own voice answered back. "I don't know who you are but I'm standing directly in front of my officers and they know who I am. Impersonating a police officer is a crime."

Brendan's color was beginning to come back to him. He was so relieved at the words he was hearing, he was far too distracted to stop Grayson from what he was about to do.

He reached into the front seat and grabbed the gun that rested beside Detective Brendan. Without hesitation, he took off towards the trap. His legs and arms pumped with a newfound fever, stronger than anything he had felt while searching for Bethany. He had a clear purpose and direction that anchored him better than anything he did in the last few months. One image was etched into his skull and he'd do virtually anything to make it a reality.