Chapter 26

~The Beast ~

Teigan scaled the ladder, his left shoe a weapon in his hand. The spider was no bigger than a pinky nail. He marveled at how Beth could even spot it. He also marveled at how she couldn't even set foot into the room knowing it was there, dancing about the light fixture. She told him it slid down the web to right in front of her face. He supposed that was frightening enough having that Bethany wasn't much bigger than it. 

He held the sole of his sneaker above the thing, wondering if he could capture it and release it outside instead. It was a life, a tiny life, he would be taking after all. Then he imagined it scurrying off to have a million other spider babies in the yard. He crushed it against his shoe. 

He opened his mouth to let Bethany know it was safe to come back in when his ankle gave away underneath him and he felt himself falling off the ladder. It wasn't a long way down but he had made the mistake of putting his arm straight out. When it met the ground, all of his body weight fell onto it. He felt his wrist snap. 

He yelped and gritted his teeth. It wasn't the first time he broke a bone but the pain was always fresh. 

He squeezed his eyes shut and took a few deep breaths. All he had to do was wait for his body to heal itself. 

The moment didn't come. He sat there, the pain still shooting up and down his arm. He didn't know what to do. 

"It's wearing off." The witch had appeared beside him in a short blue dress. "It's been so long since you were made this way. I think even your body is confused as to why you're still like this." 

He wanted to speak but the bone peeking through the side of his arm silenced him. He swallowed a wave of nausea. 

"Only the good parts are wearing off though - the parts you exploit. Which is great since I see you still have a captive. Let this be your punishment," she said eyeing his wound. 

"You . . . You have no idea what you're doing. You didn't mean to give me the strength I have and you don't know why it isn't working either! Who are you? Do you even understand your own powers?" 

She scowled. "I understand enough to heal your arm." 

He stared at her. He would not be reduced to a beggar. 

"Fine." She left in a trail of mist. Just as Bethany began to turn the corner, his bone snapped back into place and his skin pulled itself together. 

"Hey, are you alright?" Bethany's eyes flickered between him and the ladder. "Why are you on the floor? Did the spider tackle you?" 

He shook his head, rubbing his arm. "No, it's all taken care of." 

"Thank you!" She offered her hand to him and helped him up. "You know, I could have sworn I heard a woman's voice. I thought it was Carina but she left to run errands." 

Teigan stretched his lips thin. "Nope - that was me. Spiders make me nervous." 

"Spiders? Out of all the things?" She sighed, placing a hand on her hip. "What else are you afraid of?" 

He rolled his wrist behind his back. It was healed. There was no need to tell Beth about it. Besides, his fading abilities weren't so bad considering he was done chasing criminals. He just needed enough strength to save someone and he had to do that regardless. Telling her wouldn't serve a purpose.

"Why? Are you making a list of all my weaknesses?" 

"Yep. Hold on, I need to write down the one about spiders." 

“Well, how about we trade?” he said. “I tell you one of my fears and you tell me one of yours?” 

“A trade? You are so strange.” She gave him a look of judgement but agreed anyway. “You already know I’m afraid of spiders . . .”