Chapter 54

The city was loud for a Thursday night but then again, the city was always loud. There were the police sirens off in the distance, the beeping horns, the random screaming where no one ever knew came from. It was the chorus of everyday life - a representation of what happens when you crowd a bunch of people together: a captivating catastrophe.

The city hadn't changed. It was him. Every noise was like a bang on a gong because everything was huge and terrifying to him now. He had never felt so mortal.

He glanced down at the smartphone in his hand and then back at the building towering over him. The address matched. This was it. The moment he had dreamed of had finally arrived, packaged and bowed like a Christmas present when he had been certain he'd be on the naughty list. He would pinch himself if it wasn't so clear he was awake. He knew he was awake because his heart never pounded this furiously in dreams, not even in his nightmares.

His hand hovered over the bells to the apartments. He saw that the printed labeling had worn off for some of the bells and so they were outlined in Sharpie. He found apartment 5B. His finger had lightly tapped the button, not enough to trigger it, when the door to the building swung open.

A short figure was exiting in a hurry. Before he could take a step back and excuse himself, she collided into him. He took those few steps backward from the impact as she let out a surprised, "Oh!"

He was apologizing rapidly, explaining that he was ringing a bell and hadn't seen her coming. She glanced up at him, cutting him off with a sharp stare.

He had to hold in his own surprised exclamation. He wasn't as successful in holding back his smile.

Finally, her gaze softened. "That's my fault. I should have looked where I was going."

He waited for her to recognize him. He knew she was at least off put by his appearance by the way she had gawked at him. She was shifting the puzzle pieces in her mind. She was missing the context. It was the change of scenery that had to be throwing her off. Perhaps she needed a hint. He should give her one before she could get the chance to walk away.

"That's alright. I was actually looking for you."

She double-taked then, the easy smile that was forming on her lips falling. A tentative step back and a quick surveillance of the area. Seriously? She still couldn't place him? Not even by the sound of his voice?

"Me? I think you're confused." She blushed then, which made him chuckle. She was beautiful in the city's artificial moonlight. All the sharp shadows and glow of the LEDs did nothing but make her features appear stronger. It gave him some hope - that after the last days passed she hadn't fallen apart. With or without him, she'd be okay but hopefully, she preferred to be with him.

He wished he could have found her immediately but with the police on the hunt for a body and his mother back, he was kept back for a bit.

"I'm not." He gave a smile that he hoped was charming. It had been years since he didn't have to worry about his fangs showing. It had been years since he had asked anyone on a proper date. "You're my date for tonight."

Bethany ducked her head. Hiding another blush? He couldn't believe it. She was absolutely smitten for his new face . . . or old face - original face.

"Is this your way of asking me out? Before you even have my name?"

He took a step towards her. She remained planted on the sidewalk. "I know your name, Bethany. I would have brought you some flowers but all they had were roses and I think we've seen enough of those."

It was spellbinding to watch her then. Her breath hitched and she froze like a statute. Her mind was whirling, he could see. Through her eyes, he could see her question it, then doubt it, and then entertain the possibility again all in one second. Then she had a hand on his cheek like she had when he was dying, still not allowing herself to believe what was obviously true.

Maybe she needed another hint.

Forget hints.

"It's me," he said.

A giant, toothy grin that went up to her eyes took her face captive. Her shoulders collapsed and her hands flew to her mouth. She shook her head, a euphoric giggle bubbling up from her chest. He laughed with her.

She didn't say anything. As if running out of time, she wrapped her arms around his neck, standing on her tippy toes and pressed her lips onto his.

Teigan couldn't believe it. He was kissing Bethany. Bethany loved him.

He loved her.

"I want to be with you," he said, though he was certain it was evident to her by now. "Wherever you go, I want to go too."

She laughed, all smiles and teary eyes. She nodded, gripping his arms tightly, like she thought he could slip away. "I want that too. More than anything."

"Then let's do it."

She jumped into his arms again. He lifted her, spinning her around and holding her as close as he could.

He was overjoyed. This was exactly what he had wanted - not a happy ending but a happy beginning. He had a second chance to live a life with Bethany, this time with no witches, curses, criminals, or police, and he would not let himself ruin it.

As he followed her up the apartment steps, racing up the endless flights hand and hand, he couldn't help but reflect on how normal this moment was. Two people in love in New York City. Two people with scars and enduring hearts. One person who had given him a chance and one person who would never forget that.

Two people in love, a tale as old as time.