Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Everything that is underlined is plot that I added or changed to the official books.

Book One. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Chapter one: The Boy Who Lived.

At the title of the book, mutters and whispers broke out among the students.

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

At that Harry lost it. He started laughing so hard, he nearly fell out of his seat.

"Mr. Potter, what is so funny?" Dumbledore asks in his grandfatherly persona.

"It's just – them – normal?!" Harry gasps out, in between laughs. When he regains control over himself, and stops laughing, he notices everyone staring at him and he sinks down in his seat.

Mr. Dursley was the director of a firm called Grunnings, which made drills. He was a big, beefy man with hardly any neck, although he did have a very large mustache.

Everyone, especially the girls, cringed at this description.

Mrs. Dursley was thin and blonde and had nearly twice the usual amount of neck, which came in very useful as she spent too much of her time craning over garden fences, spying on the neighbors.

"Time has not been kind to her, has it?" Snape asks sarcastically lowly under his breath, so no one could hear him. The only ones who heard him were Steve and Bucky.

The Dusrley's had a small son called Dudley and in their opinion there was no finer boy anywhere.

Harry snorted at this. When people looked questioningly at him, he waved them off and turned back to the book.

The Dursleys had everything they wanted, but they also had a secret, and their greatest fear was that somebody would discover it. They didn't think they could bear it if anyone found out about the Potters.

Mrs. Potter was Mrs. Dursley's sister, but they hadn't met for several years; in fact, Mrs. Dursley pretended she didn't have a sister,

"Love you too sis!" Lily loudly exclaimed sarcastically.

Because her sister and her good-for-nothing husband were as undursleyish as it was possible to be.

"Why thank you. I take that as a huge compliment." Lily says.

The Dursleys shuddered to think what the neighbors would say if the Potters arrived in the street.

"We should have done that, just to freak them out." James whispers to his wife.

Lily smirks at James, and nods her fiery redhead at him.

When Mr. and Mrs. Dursley woke up on the dull, gray Tuesday our story starts, there was nothing about the cloudy sky outside to suggest that strange and mysterious things would soon be happening all over the country. Mr. Dursley hummed as he picked out his most boring tie for work and Mrs. Dursley gossiped away happily as she wrestled a screaming Dudley into his high chair.

...

He got into his car and backed out of number four's drive.

It was on the corner of the street that he noticed the first sign of something peculiar - a cat reading a map.

Everyone got curious looks on their faces. Each asking themselves, what a cat has to do with the story.

For a second, Mr. Dursley didn't realize what he had seen - then he jerked his head around to look again. There was a tabby cat standing on the corner of Privet Drive, but there wasn't a map in sight.