Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Chapter twelve: The Mirror of Erised

"Ah-no." Steve said, hanging his head.

"Not this thing again." Bucky complained.

"What do you mean?" Cho asked.

"You guys have seen it before?" asks Harry.

"Yeah. Once." Steve said grimly.

"Long time ago," said Bucky. Just as grim as Steve.

"If I ever see that damn thing again, it'll be too soon." Steve shuddered to even think about it.

"Steve," Bucky said, looking up at Dumbledore. "If my memory serves me correctly, I remember Dippet saying that he was going to get rid of that mirror."

"Memories working just fine Buck." Steve said, looking at Dumbledore as well. "Didn't you say that you were going to get rid of it for him, Dumbledore?"

"Yes Albus." McGonagall turned to the man sitting next to her. "You did say that you would."

After a few minutes of everyone staring at him, he finally said, "I thought that it could be useful, so I kept it."

Christmas was coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban.

Harry, Ron and Hermione all burst out laughing. While several in the hall had chuckled, none were as vocal in their amusement as those three.

"I can't believe that I forgot about that." Harry gasped.

"Fred and George, the only two to ever get away with it." Hermione gasped.

"Fred, George. I love you two. You're awesome." Ron said, wiping tears away.

"Why?" Asked Fred.

"I mean, I get it's funny, but not that funny." said George.

"Why?" Fred asked simply.

"SPOILERS!" the three shouted as one, grinning as they did so.

The few owls that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky to deliver mail had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again.

...

So, Malfoy, jealous and angry, had gone back to taunting Harry about having no proper family.

It was true that Harry wasn't going back to Privet Drive for Christmas. Ms McGonagall had come around the week before, making a list of students who would be staying for the holidays, and Harry had signed up at once. He didn't feel sorry for himself at all; this would probably be the best Christmas he'd ever had. Ron and his brothers were staying, too, because Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were going to Romania to visit Charlie.

"No we weren't." Mrs. Weasley said.

"Charlie came to see us, remember?" Mr. Weasley reminded.

Harry looked at the four Weasleys that sat at the Gryffindor table questioningly.

"Ron had pulled us aside," Fred said.

"And had explained to us that you were staying." George continued.

"He wanted to stay."

"But we weren't going to just let him stay here,"

"With no family here with him."