Last Rites

It was October 15th when Lizzie stood in the middle of Jo's Georgia home. One hand cradled her bump while the other held Lillian's hand her phone being held in place by her shoulder. 

"I want her in Georgia and I want her there tonight," she spoke bitterly into the phone.

"I don't know if we can-"

"Like hell, you can't!" the bite in her words only becoming stronger "If it wasn't for my wife you wouldn't have a job. She deserves to be home so you figure out a way to get her to Georgia or I swear to God I will have your head. Am I clear?"

"Ye-yes Mrs. Olsen."

As soon she hung up the phone she sat on the couch overcome with grief and exhaustion. Lillian wrapped her arms around Lizzie pulling her close. Lillian kissed Lizzie's temple "Shh, shhh. I need you to breathe. It's not good for the babies."

"I-I can't breathe. How am I supposed to go on without her? Why her? She's what's good in this world."

"I don't know why bad things happen to us sometimes but I have to believe something good is going to come out of this. I don't know what that is. I really wish I did."

Jarnette, Morgan, and Chris were all on the private jet heading to Georgia to be with Elizabeth.

Lizzie sat up with a start. She looked around at the unfamiliar bedroom. Reality came crashing down on her. Tears instantly filled her eyes and she curled up into a small ball and just sobbed. The door opened and a gentle weight climbed into the bed behind her. She willed herself to believe it was Jo but the smell of cherries instead of that beautiful mix of lavender and oranges made it painfully obvious her wife wasn't there. All she could do was cry.

Morgan whispered "I'm going to hold you okay," Morgan gently wrapped her arm around Lizzie and her bump. "I felt a bump!" Morgan smiled,

This only made Lizzie sob more "She never-never got to feel them."

"Oh honey," Morgan whispered fresh tears streaming down her face

The two lay there for a while. Morgan was about the same size as Jo allowing Lizzie to rest. After a few hours Lizzie woke up to her babies playing soccer with her organs "Settle little ones," she cooed but that did nothing to calm her kids.

Morgan said, "Come on Mama let's get you up. Those babies are probably just hungry."

Lizzie felt a twang of pain in her heart Mama. She was never meant to carry that title. That was designated for a woman that was no longer there. Morgan helped Lizzie up and the two walked slowly into the kitchen where Chris stood over the stove. He turned around "Hey sleepyheads." he said gently "What would you like to eat?"

"Just toast for me." Lizzie choked out her voice hoarse from the hours of crying.

Chris nodded with a sad smile, "You go sit and I'll bring it over."