Chapter Six

Jazz thought about David as she placed her books in her locker that Monday morning. All weekend she half-expected him to call about the project, but he never did.

Maybe he has a lot of confidence in me. He knew that I'd get my part done like I promised. She reasoned with herself.

She was interrupted from her thoughts when a familiar voice called out her name. "Jasmine Marie Smith!"

"Hailey! You're back!" Jazz screamed, hugging her bestfriend.

"In the flesh! I was only gone for a few days. Jazz, geesh! No need to strangle me," Hailey laughed as Jazz continued to squeeze her in their hug.

"I'm sorry. I just missed you. How's Grandma Pat doing?"

"She's a lot better now." Hailey looked relieved as she grabbed her books from her locker. "My dad stayed for a few more days. I tried to persuade mom to let me stay too, but you know she wouldn't fall for it," she said, rolling her eyes.

"I'm happy she didn't fall for it. I have big news for you."

"What is it?"

"I'm working with David on the final project for English," Jazz whispered, making sure no one around her could hear.

"Wait? What! Why am I just hearing about this now? That is big news! You could have told me over the phone lastnight and the night before!"

Jazz placed her hand over Hailey's mouth. "Would you quiet down? This is the reason I didn't want you to know."

"I want to know everything!" She whispered excitedly as they walked to their first class.

"Well, we were paired up on Friday, and he invited me over to his house for dinner that night so that we could work on it."

Hailey's response was a loud squeal. "Oh my gosh Jazz! This is huge. I'm surprised you didn't faint on his doorstep."

"I am too. I met his parents and everything!" Jazz recalled, leaning on her best friend. She could hardly believe it herself.

"Wow. So, when are you meeting up again? Did he mention Fiona? Did he seem interested or was it just work related?" Hailey said in one breath.

Jazz laughed. "I haven't even told you the craziest news."

"What is it?"

"Apparently, my dad plays tennis with David's dad and he's thinking about inviting them over for dinner sometime."

"Whaaat?!"

"I know right. It's so crazy."

"It's fate, Jazz. Don't you see? You two are meant to be."

"Now, you sound overly optimistic like my parents. Let's not forget that David is the most popular guy in school. He's dated Fiona for crying out loud."

"And?"

"And, I'm nothing like Fiona. "

"That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be interested in you. Have some faith!"

"If you say so," Jazz told her, still doubtful.

"Besides, if this works out for you, that means I can gain some intel on his best friend, Hottie Hayden," Hailey whispered her personal nickname for Hayden Burns and laughed.

"I knew you had an ulterior motive!"

"Of course!" Hailey laughed. "Hailey and Hayden. It makes so much sense."

_____________

Jazz stared at the clock, counting down the moments until the bell rang. While she enjoyed History class, she had to begin setting up for the annual book fair on the weekend. As the newest president of the Writing Club, she had no intentions of screwing up. Plus, she wanted to make this event as special as she could for the kids.