Chapter Seventeen

When Jazz got home, her dad was asleep on the couch with an episode of Law and Order watching him.

Her mom was in her office typing away as usual. 

"You're home early, honey. It's only 8:30."

"Yeah, it wasn't really my scene."

"Everything okay?" her mom looked up from her computer screen, concern apparent on her face. 

Jazz sighed. She had cried so much on the drive home that she didn't think she could anymore.

 "I saw Dylan."

"And?"

"And he was happy to see me. But, I think its only because he sees me as a good friend. A big sister, even."

"Sister?" her mom asked. "Where did that come from?"

"From Grace."

"The girl who likes him?"

"Yeah."

"Jazz, honey, this Grace girl likes Dylan. Don't you think she wants to believe that he sees you as a friend and as nothing more?"

"Maybe. I don't know anymore. I'm just emotionally exhausted, mom. I've never felt this way before."

"That's because you've never had feelings for someone the way you have feelings for Dylan."

"It hurts. Alot."

Her mom walked up to her and hugged her. "I know, honey. I know, but I promise you that it will get better."

"Thanks mom. I know it will...in time."

"Do you want to watch a movie and eat some ice cream?"

Jazz laughed. "Thanks mom, but I'm okay. I just want to get out of these clothes and lie down."

"You sure, honey?"

"Yeah, I'm sure mom. If I need anything, I'll let you know. I love you."

"I love you too, honey."

Jazz took a shower and piled all hair in a high bun. She felt significantly better after she got out of those uncomfortable clothes and threw on her pajamas. As much as she tried not to, she kept thinking about what Grace said and felt the sting of embarrassment.

He sees me as a sister. 

"Jazz, you have a visitor out back!" she heard her mom call from downstairs. Jazz sighed, knowing that she would get an ear full from Hailey for leaving her at the party.

"I'll be down in a minute" she called out, putting on her sneakers.

When she walked through the back door, Jazz gasped. 

Dylan was standing at the entrance of the gazebo. His back was turned, but Jazz knew it was him. 

She quickly turned around to go back inside where she met her mom.

"What is he doing here, mom?" Jazz asked, her heart beating frantically. 

"I'm not sure. You should probably go out there and find out." Her mom was calm. 

"What? I don't want to." Jazz told her, feeling panicked. 

She had had enough heartache for one night.

"I think you should listen to what he has to say, Jazz."

"But, mom.."

"Jasmine Marie. Be brave."