Chapter Nine

Jazz couldn't help but replay Dylan's words over and over in her mind as she drove home. As much as she tried to ignore them, she couldn't. The look on his face when he told her stirred something in her. She just couldn't figure out what it was. 

When she got home, her mom must have noticed how zoned out she was. 

"Jazz, everything okay?"

"Oh, hey mom. Yeah, I'm fine. Just have a lot on my mind."

"Care to share?"

"It's nothing much really. I just..."

"Just what, honey?"

"Well, Dylan found out that I like David today."

"Okay? What's the problem?"

"I don't know... I just don't want him to tell David anything."

"Well, did you ask him not to say anything?"

Jazz sighed. "I did, but I'm not sure I can trust him."

"Jazz, this Dylan sounds like a mature young man. If he promised you that he wouldn't say anything, then I say give him the benefit of the doubt. Your father has an amazing judgement of character, and you do as well."

"I guess so..."

"You know what I think?

"I think that double chocolate chip ice cream is calling our names."

Jazz laughed and hugged her mom. "I think you're right."

Jazz was grateful for the next few hours that she spent with her mom watching a Rom-Com and eating ice cream. It was a much needed distraction from Dylan's comments earlier. As much as she tried, she couldn't stop thinking about how calm he looked after he called her beautiful—as though it was something that she should be used to hearing. She always heard it from her parents, but never from a guy—and never so openly and honestly.

Jazz felt the couch shift when her mom got up. How long have I been thinking about Dylan? She wondered to herself.

"It's almost 7 honey. I'm going to get some dinner started before your dad comes home."

"Okay, mom."

"I love you, Jazz. Everything will be alright. I'm sure of it."

"Thanks, mom. I love you, too."

Jazz looked down at the remaining melted ice cream in her bowl and sighed when she got up.

She gave herself an internal pep talk.

It will be alright, Jazz. Just relax.

She breathed in and out deeply before washing her dish and going to her room.

She was in the middle of editing her portion of her and David's paper when the phone rang. Her mom was usually the first one to answer in the kitchen, so Jazz didn't bother answering the one rigning on her night stand.

"Jazz, honey, there's a call for you," she heard her mom finally call from downstairs. Her mom had been on the phone for so long that Jazz assumed it was one of her colleagues. 

She knew that it couldn't be Hailey because she had just texted Hailey only a minute ago.

It could only be one person, she thought to herself. 

David. 

Jazz nearly fell off her bed and tried her best to gain her composure. When she finally mustered the courage to pick up the phone, she cleared her throat for the millionth time before speaking.