Chapter 5

Previously on Borders...

I learned that people are different under each surroundings and under each circumstances. People react differently at different situations. Some people are good at hiding that they're uncomfortable, while others like Zain, openly show it.

I respected his honesty, though it wasn't pleasant for the eyes to see. Yet, he had a very beautiful side to him, and I knew he would treat me right...

It was a match made in heaven...

_______

"You have to learn how to cook, Preet..." Mother said, rather kindly, using 'Preet' to listen to what she was saying.

"I know how to crack an egg, Mother..." I joked, hugging her from behind, as she flattened the dough for making bread for dinner.

"Don't joke around, you! You're just days away from being someone else's... God knows if I'll ever see you again.." She changed her tone.

"What do you mean? I'll always try to visit you! I will stay in touch with you, Father, Jasleen and Abinaash..."

"Well, leave all that for later, now I'll teach you how to flatten this dough..." She placed the round dough flat, and handed me the rolling pin.

I looked at her confused, not knowing what to do next.

"Only the Lord can save this girl!" My Mother, resting her palm on her forehead, said, looking at my expression.

She helped me to make the first batch, and asked me to make the second set.

"Go ahead, I won't be there at the Maliks' to teach you how to make roti..."

"But it's not coming out as a perfect circle!" I complained as I made my first flat-bread, without anyone's help.

"Haste is waste, Harpreet! Your father has indeed turned you into a boy! All these feminine things aren't getting into your head now..."

"Mother..." I said, quite annoyed.

"What? You're not going there to work in the fields, are you? A good home-maker, wife, mother, a daughter for Zain's parents, is what they expect from you...not a farmer..." She said nodding her head.

........

"Do you, Harpreet Singh, accept Zain Javadd Malik as your husband?"

"Qubool hain, Qubool hain, Qubool hain...."

"I accept, I accept, I accept..." 

We were in the Malik household, in Lahore, where the ceremony was held. The house was large and beautifully decorated, with marigolds and jasmines, giving out their sweet aroma in the air.

I'd also got the chance to meet  Zain's other relatives, and some distant aunts and uncles, who hadn't seen me then, who praised and blessed me for a nice future.

Zain was seated a few feet away from me, where he signed the contract of marriage, after the priest asked if he was willing to marry me.

He looked at me, after signing, as a proof of acceptance, as the priest walked up to me to sign the paper. Our family looked at us expectantly.

My father and mother blessed us, shedding tears, followed by Yaser and Aminah who hugged us after the ceremony was over.

My family was to head back to Amritsar that evening, and I only had a few more hours with them before bidding them farewell. 

I had to stay back in Lahore, as this was my new house... I was now officially Zain's wife. A wave of fear ran through my body as I thought of his slightly intimidating figure.

It was a very perplexing situation. I didn't know what to expect from him, or I didn't know what he would say. He was indeed the most different character that I'd met. I didn't know whether to expect the more tensed, bothered angry young army- man, or a very loving and caring husband...

I forced a smile, as I saw Zain, worried, as the priest pronounced us as a married couple...

Only if I could dive in to the depths of his mind, untangle his mysterious thoughts, and let loose the true Zain that he really is... I guessed he wasn't in his element, he shuffled in his seat looking at the festivity and the loud noise, irking him.

It didn't need the wisest man in the world to tell me that he was annoyed. 

The most absurd part was the fact that I hadn't even talked to him, the only time he had spoken to me was when he introduced himself. I felt guilty that I'd forgotten his voice, as he didn't speak that much so that it could register in my mind.

Usually weddings end when the girl's parents send her off with her husband to her new house, but here, on the  contrary,  I had to send my parents and siblings off to Amritsar.

It would be, so far, the most saddest part of the night.... but what I didn't know was that the night was still young, and there was more to come.

________

Heya sistahs !! Sup? We've reached the fifth chapter of Borders! yayyyy , plus, Zarpreet is officially man and wife ! yayyy again!! 

So happy to tell you guys that within just four days we have gone up to the 99th position on historical fiction *_* IKR! I actually didn't want to update today, since I was helping my sister in the kitchen to try out her famous vegetable jalfrezi (it's basically a type of curry) 

But when I saw this book nearing to 100 reads AND in the top 100 , I thought why not, I will update for all you lovely Zarpreetians <3

Plus, what do you think might happen in the following chapters? Leaving that to you <3 

Till then,

xoxo

sweetdreams199

P.S- This chapter is dedicated to @shruthiluvsdeepveer ! You're an amazing reader that I've had, you're awesome at the comments section too! Ilysm!!! xxx keep smiling and be happy, love!