Chapter 8

Previously on Borders...

Though he didn't speak in a very mean or rude manner, his words were spiteful, as though he didn't like the idea of me being his wife. The letter...my mind reminded me. 

It was all a lie. It was too late for me to realize.

"I'm sorry, I won't repeat it again.." I apologized.

"And repeat it, you musn't.." He said, without looking at my face, getting up from the bed.

Expectations give you the worst, everything you see, hear or sense is just lies.... everything in the world is a giant hoax...

.........

I served Zain breakfast while everyone started eating. "You sit." Zain said after I was done. 

I sat on the chair, trying not to creak it and make a lot of noise. I smiled at everyone, having my first bite. Though I wasn't the happiest person in the world at that moment. I didn't want to show my weakness or worries to anyone.

"Did you pack everything for tomorrow?," Yaser asked, glancing at me and Zain.

Tomorrow? 

"Yes, father I'm done packing for Karachi.." He said while taking a bite of his bread.

What was happening? Zain hadn't even mentioned about leaving for Karachi. I felt like a fool sitting with him... I was oblivious to everything happening to him... I realized that I didn't know anything about him. He lacked genuinity.

"So aren't you taking Harpreet with you?" Aminah asked.

There was a pause as Zain took time to answer. I understood that he actually didn't want me to go with him. He wanted me to stay back with his parents. And that's exactly why he didn't speak anything about it last night.

"Y-yes, Mother... I will be taking her to Karachi with me.." He stuttered, which I realised was a quick decision taken by him to please his Mother.

"That's a great thing, Harpreet will love Karachi, we had enjoyed a lot when Zain had taken us last year..." Yaser said, while I looked at Zain. I knew it hadn't even been a day since our marriage, but I learned that he loved his family more than anything.

The letters.. My mind taunted me again. I really wanted to throw away the entire chapter from my mind. But it seemed to me that the more I tried to forget it and start my life with Zain, whom I knew very little about, anew.. the things of the past kept recurring.

I needed to know exactly who had written the letters. I looked at everyone with an unreadable expression, trying to use my instincts. Whoever had done this had done a wrong deed as it had changed my life completely, and not in a great way. 

It had transformed my state of mind, to the point where every second was like a time bomb, which would explode at any time. And being with Zain for a few hours, has made me know lots of things about him which I should've been aware of before the wedding.

I looked at Safaa, who was in her own world, playing with her food. I thought about Doniya, Zain's elder sister, on the day of the marriage, but she'd left with her husband on the night itself. 

I looked at Waliyha, who was apparently looking at me while having her food, she immediately looked away as our eyes met... I guess I'd just found out who it must be...

"Waliyha how are your studies going?" I asked, putting in a random question, to see how she would reply.

"Erm, it is going well.." She said looking into her plate, while adjusting her scarf, and I remembered that I had to do it too.

"And yours, Safaa?" I asked for the sake of asking her... I just needed to know about Waliyha, but then Safaa would feel left out.

"It's great!" She chirped, flashing a smile that looked innocent.

I guess I knew whom I should talk to after breakfast... and since it was a Sunday morning, I would be able to talk to Waliyha personally.

.......

I'd packed my things for the next day, as I would be moving to Karachi, though Zain didn't want me to.

I planned to take the chest which was very precious to me. I had brought it from Amritsar, now I'd be taking it to Karachi with me. 

I kept all the luggage next to the bed, so that it'd be easier for me to take it. 

It was almost afternoon when I knocked the door of my sister- in law's room. The room was shared by Waliyha as well as Safaa, so I needed to make sure that only Waliyha would be present in the room.

After a while, the door was opened and Waliyha gave a bland smile to me. 

"What's the matter?" She asked sweetly.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you... may I?" I asked, pointing inside.

"Oh, yes.." She said, opening the door and I entered the room.

I looked around the room which was well- kept and cleaned. The blankets were folded, and the floor didn't have a speck of dirt on it. Most importantly, Safaa wasn't present.

"Well, what was it that you wanted to say?" Waliyha asked, standing in front of me. I could sense the fear in her voice.

"Nothing much, I just wanted to get to know my sister in- law..." I smiled. 

"Oh.. okay.." She mumbled.

"I got reminded of the craziest thing that happened to me," I started.

".. you know, I got these letters with Zain's name in it..." I said.

"Really?" She nervously smiled.

'Yes... and the letters were sent from Lahore... but the funniest thing is Zain was in Karachi all the while!" I giggled while speaking. I wanted to play the fool for a while.

She giggled along, slightly tensed.

"Do you know who it might've been?" I changed my expression, looking at her, expecting for an answer.

She didn't reply at all. There was a long pause of slience. 

"Okay, I wrote the letters..." She finally confessed.

"Why?" I asked, sounding helpless.

"I thought..." She said.

"You thought?"

"I'm sorry, I really am... I hope I haven't caused any trouble in your life because of the letter.." She said, while weeping.

She didn't know she had already made me misinterpret about Zain's character. But yet, I had to forgive her. She was just like my younger sister, Jasleen... and I knew I would've forgiven her too..

"It's alright, Waliyha... It's really okay... I already knew it was you.." I said as she unexpectedly hugged me.

Though I was taken aback by her affection, I hugged her back, "How did you know?' She asked.

"Oh, I just went by my instincts.."

_______

Hey there lovelies!! How's it going?? Another update for you guys! We're on the 8th chapter and I am already loving the response I am getting.

So, Harpreet caught the culprit! Hehe :P But who guessed it that it was Waliyha? Comment below if you already guessed it. And btw, Harpreet is leaving for Karachi!! :D So what do you think that is gonna happen in the coming chapters?

Let me know your theories!! 

xoxo

sweetdreams199