Chapter 18

Previously on Borders...

"I'm sorry, Zain.." I said, my voice shaking, feeling hurt. I clearly knew that I had no reason to apologize to him.

"Oh Harpreet," He chuckled. "The word 'sorry' should be used by people, who sticks to their promise of not committing mistakes over again, and you clearly have no right to say it," He spewed his anger. I stood still, listening.

"What have I done wrong to suffer this way?" He muttered, turning away from me, and crawling up to the bed. He acted like there was nobody present in the room other than him. He switched off the lights and lamps, whilst I stood, tears flowing down my eyes, as I stood in the dark.

......

Hours turned into days; days turned into weeks, I remained in the house, not breathing fresh air. I stayed, suffocated, in my own sorrows. I didn't speak to Zain, he wouldn't bother anyway. He looked more peaceful when I was muted away, and I needed nothing more.

He would come home at odd hours, and I would serve him, expecting nothing back. I had changed my notion of spending my love and expecting to get it back.

Some days he would smile at me; some days he would just yell, saying that he was unlucky to get a person like me as his wife. I would just listen, and hide away from him to unleash my agony. I greatly missed my family and his, but he would persistently deny my requests, to the point where I lost all of my eagerness to write to them.

Since he had strictly ordered to not let anyone in the house in his absence, I had created a phobia of socialising with the rest of the people that lived in the colony. My heart would race every time some one would knock on the door, or ring the bell... but slowly that fear turned into a habit.

Staying alone at home for ample amounts of time, gave me enough time to learn cooking. I would experiment everyday, using the fresh produce and vegetables Zain would get home. Slowly, things changed to extent when Zayn'd stopped complaining about the way I cooked.

In five months of our marriage, he had finally stopped critiquing my actions, I made sure that he wouldn't find a single fault in my work, I wanted to prove that we were perfect for each other, a match made in heaven, like what others said.

......

I cleaned our bedroom, dusting all the  wooden shelves and the dressing table. I wiped off the already clean wooden frame of the mirror, and being a woman, I stared at my reflection... but this time in horror.

My eyes, which were once bright, had dulled. My face had lost all of the plumpness it had in them, making my cheek-bones rise higher. I ran my fingers through them, my lips parted, in awe of my change after staying in Karachi for a span of six months.

I'd spent six months of my life in Karachi and I was still alien to the city. The thought made me shudder in fear. Even if I'd wanted to run away from the this house, I wouldn't even know where to run, I thought. I cringed thinking about running away. 

I looked at what was behind me, it was that shelf in front of which Zain would always stand for hours. I still hadn't mustered the courage to find what was inside it. Zain would leave its key in the chest of drawers that was close to our bed. 

I knew I could open it, yet I chose against it.

That was when the bell rang, I ran downstairs, to peep out of the curtains to see who it was. I wouldn't open the door, yet I had to see who it was. I looked, moving the fabric of the curtain, in a way no one standing outside could realize that there was someone inside the house.

My eyes widened as I saw Jeanette again, standing outside. Since Zain had warned me that day, I had lost all the little contact I had with Jeanette.

"Harpreet, I know you're in there, you can't lie to me..." She yelled, and my heart skipped a beat. How did she know I was there?

"Harpreet, you're going against your own conscience by doing this," I heard her say from outside.

I opened the door, I had never felt so happy and guilty at the same time.

Jeanette kept a placid expression until she saw me. "I'm glad that you know what's best for you," She said.

"How did you know I was here?" I asked.

"I know Zain, and I assumed that you would be hiding away, since he must have warned you,"

I looked at her, bewildered, as she accurately guessed what'd happened.

"Please come in Jeanette, I don't want you to be seen," I said, in fear of being reported. 

"On no dear, I have come to take you away,

I gasped, "Jeanette, w-what do you mean?" I stammered, in fright.

"I came to take you out, for shopping,"

"Shopping?" I asked, my face looking puzzled.

"Yes! And you can't say no to me!" She said sternly.

"Jeanette I-"

"No, Harpreet, Zain wouldn't be back till the night... I can assure you that he would never find out..." Jeanette pleaded, as I stood there, in a dilemma.

......

The Sun began to fade away from the horizons, as we walked back to my house. I had never enjoyed in my life more than what I had that day. But I still felt guilty, thinking that I had broken Zain's trust.  I was sure that I wouldn't be able to look at his face, without remorse.

"I don't know how I can ever pay you back, Jeanette," I said, lifting the packets of clothes she had purchased for me. She chuckled, "Oh, well, you can pay me back by accompanying me this way again," She politely said.

As she dropped me by the door, and left me after saying 'good-bye'. I twisted the key  of the main door of the house, to find that it was locked from inside.

My mind froze, knowing what it meant.

Just then, the door opened, and I'd never seen Zain this angry, ever in my life.

"You untrustworthy liar!"

______

MAJOR DRAMAAAA! Stay tuned for the next update, trust me, it is not something you should be happy about considering the fact that the next update will be quite a sad one :(

OMG 2015 HAD COME TO AN END! So much has happened, from good to bad. But on my Wattpad life's point of view, the growth of #Zarpreetians and #Zapsarians have mushroomed !! :3

Words can't describe how awesome you guys are, and I hope you will continue to support me! That's my payment :3

Another thing to be happy about is the fact that I have been making a Zarpreet edit for a while, which  I will posting on my channel on YouTube :3 So wait for that !

Make sure to read Beautiful1DLads and AshaMalik-Padukone's works! Make their new year a special one :'D

Till then, Wishing y'all a Happy New Year!

xoxo

sweetdreams199