Chapter 19

Previously on Borders...

As she dropped me by the door, and left me after saying 'good-bye'. I twisted the key of the main door of the house, to find that it was locked from inside.

My mind froze, knowing what it meant.

Just then, the door opened, and I'd never seen Zain this angry, ever in my life.

"You untrustworthy liar!"

........

Warning: Tissue boxes will be required.

"Zain, I can explain-" I cried.

"Get inside," He mumbled.

"Zain-"

"I said get inside! Now!" His voice boomed. I stood still, shivering in fear.

 "Zain, please..." I begged.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me inside the house, and closed the door with his free hand. I screeched as his hand pressed my wrist.

"If you wanted to run away from the house, you should've told me! I would have dropped you at your house! I didn't want you here, anyway!" His last words made me cup my mouth to control my tears.

"Zain, I didn't run away from the house!" I spoke back.

"You don't deserve any of this! This house, this luxury, this happiness and me..." He continued to pierce my heart with his words.

"Then why did you say yes when you were asked to marry me?" I finally spoke. 

I straightened my posture as he remained silent, looking down. "You clearly had the option of rejecting me then and there, just a word of denial from your mouth wouldn't have caused trouble for us, our lives wouldn't have turned into this mess," I spoke, walking up to him.

"Have you ever thought of how insensitive you are towards my feelings? The way you insult my background, my likes, and my actions... Have I ever insulted your past, Zain? Have I ever uttered about the poverty your family went through, before you began to earn?" I knew I'd gone too far. Zain finally lifted his head, and I could see the tears in his eyes.

"How dare you talk about my family?" He whispered, and I could feel the pain in my cheek spreading as he slapped me.

I wailed, not because of the pain, but due to his action.

 "Go to your room!" He ordered. I looked at him and opened my mouth to speak, "Harpreet, go to your room, before I do something worse," He yelled.

.........

I sat on the bed, burying my head in the pillow, to muffle my voice

I sat on the bed, burying my head in the pillow, to muffle my voice. The impact of his actions left me traumatized. I turned my body around to face the ceiling, my breathing increased. I covered my mouth to stop myself from crying.