Chapter 13: Doubtful Vendetta

[Sanford]

"Motherfucker!" He cursed reflexively, gritting his teeth as he accidentally strained his leg. Sanford waited until the sharp throbbing of pain in his leg dulled back down into a constant ache, attempting to move himself more carefully into a position which would make it easier to stand himself up. He patted the ground next to him with his left hand, feeling around for the rusted pipe Hank had given him a while back, he found it, gripping it and using it as a support to avoid damaging his leg even more as he slowly stood himself up, briefly noticing that Hank had turned their attention to him from whatever the hell they were doing with the scraps pile in the corner.

Sanford struggled for a second to find his balance once he'd gotten up, getting a fleeting sense of panic as he felt like he was about to fall. He never did, though, swiftly adjusting himself to rely on the left side of his body to keep himself up. The pipe was, admittedly, a little small for his liking, but he wasn't about to complain about it, given it was able to get him walking. Hank had turned back to going through the pile, probably trying to find something they might be able to consider "edible." Looking back, Sanford was pretty impressed with how long they'd managed to make their rations last, even if it only lasted until yesterday.

'..I wonder how Deimos is going..'
He thought, figuring they should have found something to raid by now. Even though it had only been three days, he found he missed their company, even if most the things they conversed about were stupid. Sanford ended up feeling more worried, realising that when Deimos left they'd been really stressed, which probably meant they were going to go through their cigarettes much quicker,
'Should have burned those things the second I found out he had them.'

Sanford considered to go start small talk with Hank, just to try keeping himself from finding more reasons to worry, shying away from the idea as he knew there was a fairly likely chance Hank would start explaining why they should keep an eye on Sheriff, again. He understood though, after all, he had his own suspicions, and he knew Hank would naturally be fairly paranoid about someone new joining their group, but he'd be lying if he said it didn't get tiring after a while. Besides, he figured that if Sheriff didn't screw them all over while they needed the food, he could start putting a little trust in them.

Sanford stumbled over to the wooden table, which had been recently dragged into the open. Sanford looked over the contents scattered across the table; two handguns and a shotgun which had both been left by Deimos, a make-shift knife and a metal bat covered in chips and scratches.
"Looks like he's preparing for an ambush.' Sanford thought with a sigh, looking around the table for his hook, which seemed to be missing. After a minute of confusion, he realised he actually hadn't seen it since he dragged himself out of the rubble after the building collapsed, shivering at the memory of being swung through the air effortlessly by Tricky.
'How in the hell is Hank not scared of that guy?'
He wondered, debating with himself for a couple minutes, before coming to the conclusion that Tricky would probably end up reviving Hank, which would have probably gotten Hank desensitised to death, and by further definition, Tricky.

A crash echoed from the entrance of the warehouse, Sanford immediately recognising the sound of a door crashing with a wall, reflexively he picked up the shotgun, though it wasn't his style, he'd just have to make do. "Hank! Sanford! You're not gonna believe this shit!" A familiar voice shouted from where the crash had sounded. Deimos. Sanford sighed in relief, carefully placing the shotgun back onto the table. When he looked up he saw Deimos round the corner, struggling to hold a mix of food and medical equipment.
"Why didn't you just use the bag?" Sanford asked, as Deimos made their way to the table, promptly dumping all the supplies onto the table surface.
"We are using the bag!" Deimos replied giddily, with a wide smile, which confused Sanford even more,
'Did they find something which takes up all the bag space?'
He wondered, as Deimos swung the bag off their shoulders, opening the front pocket and turning it upside down, letting the contents still onto the table. To his amazement, a plethora of food spilled out of the bag, Sanford found himself unable to keep a smile from forming, this could last them weeks, probably without even trying to ration all of it.