Chapter 36

[Sheriff]

Sheriff knew 2B probably knew the place much better than any one else, but he wasn't quite expecting this. They'd let him into a narrow crevice hidden just behind one of the few established buildings. It was a tight fit, and he kept worrying that he'd lose his balance and impale himself on the rough edges somehow, worse yet, that 2B would in his weakened condition, but they both managed. On the other side was a clearing, much smaller than the main area, but enough that they'd have to raise their voices to hear each other on the other side. And more impressively, it was completely empty.

"Now, have the other two taught you anything about fighting?" 2B asked. It was still strange seeing him without the mask, especially with the massive holes on the sides of their mouth. Unnerved, he looked away, hoping they didn't realise it was for that reason.

"They taught me a few exercises?" He offered up, as he realised how small the entrance looked after giving it a second glance.

2B just sighed, before writing something on the clipboard he brought along. "And what did they teach you?"

"Push-ups, sit-ups planks..." Sheriff trailed off, trying to remember what the last one was. Something with a 'B'.

"Show me." He kept jotting things down. Sheriff was a little discouraged by how much he was already writing.

"Which one?"

"Any."

Sheriff awkwardly stood there for a second, before deciding he'd try sit-ups. He had a much easier time with those compared to anything else. Yet, even with barely a single one in, 2B was already pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Dear lord. They didn't teach you anything, did they?" He abandoned the clipboard, tucking it under his arm as he stood over Sheriff. "Move your feet further out, cross your arms to the opposite shoulders."

He did just that, wondering if that would make it harder somehow. It really didn't seem like it would do much. Yet, on his next attempt he could barely lift himself up properly. He had to catch his breath for a second once he laid back down.

"Keep going." 2B instructed, putting his focus back on the clipboard.

"How many more?" He looked up, hoping to find some morsel of approval, or hell, any sort of acknowledgment toward him.

Instead, 2B just flicked his gaze to the side for a couple seconds, before looking back at Sheriff,
"Do 10."

Sighing inwardly, he got to it. Only, with this new technique it quickly became miserably strenuous. After only 5 he thought about tapping out. His whole chest shook, and it was as if he couldn't inhale on the way up. So, with each sit-up taking him longer, it also meant he had to last a little longer without taking a breath. At 8 he felt sick, though he felt more embarrassed about it than anything. If he were to throw up over a couple sit-ups what did that say about him? Finally, on the 10th he didn't even bother trying to lay himself down properly, instead opting to just flop down.

2B continued taking notes. He was sure they were all bad. It wasn't everyday you found someone who got red-faced and out of breath because of sit-ups.

After that 2B took the time to correct his technique on all his other exercises, push-ups, planks, and the last one he'd been trying to name, which had ended up being called 'burpees'. By the end of it all his legs felt like lead, and he just wanted to go back to the tent. But sadly, 2B wasn't done with him.

"Now, I want you to do at least 5 reps of each exercise everyday, and I want you to tell me once you can do 10 reps of each easily." 2B instructed. Sheriff just nodded, too busy catching his breath to properly respond.