T H R E E

Resting back in my desk chair, I sighed heavily as I stared at the piles of documents in front of me, wishing they would disappear. They were most likely collecting dust by now since, for the first time ever, I had been prioritising personal life over work life and it reminded me of exactly why I didn't date. I was just too busy for both.

"I need those arguments on my desk by five,"

Looking up, my boss had his head stuck through the office door that I'd left ajar, eyebrows raised waiting for a response.

"Yes, Mr Acker. I'm working on it now," I feigned a tight-lipped smile.

Mr Acker was a great mentor, but a man with little patience. I'd been working with him for just under two years now, which is practically weeks in legal years. Nodding, he closed the door firmly and I groaned loudly, the last thing I wanted to do right now was think.

Logging back into my desktop which had remained locked since lunch because I couldn't face any more paperwork, I reluctantly opened up a new document and began scanning the files for Mr Acker's upcoming case.

My phone vibrated against the desk and I glanced over, spotting Callum's name lighting up the screen. I contemplated letting it ring out and calling him back later since I was on a tight schedule, but I also enjoyed talking to him. We had spent a lot of time together over the last few weeks, my workload attested to that.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good. What time do you finish work?"

I glanced at the clock, it was already four p.m.

"I think it's gonna be a late one tonight, I'm so behind on everything."

I could hear him sigh quietly through the phone, "Well if you need a break we're having some drinks at Simon's tonight, you're invited."

"That is really tempting, a glass of wine would go down a treat right now,"

Cal laughed and I smiled, he had a way of lifting my mood without even trying. Shaking my thoughts, I clicked a recent case study on the computer, trying to refocus. I had never let my personal life be a distraction before now, I couldn't let it become a habit.

"Well, it's probably gonna be a late one so don't rush home too quickly,"

"Alright, maybe see you later,"

Ending the call and putting my phone on do not disturb, I had less than an hour to finish my arguments for Mr Acker, and he doesn't appreciate rushed jobs.

My heels clicked loudly as I made my way toward the lift through the empty department, most of my colleagues heading home long ago; I was only just calling it a day at ten-thirty. Though I'd managed to halve my workload throughout the evening which reduced my stress ever so slightly, this was definitely a wake-up call.

Callum had been periodically checking in on me, texts getting shorter and more grammatically incorrect as the hours went by, they must have started early. As the elevator dinged, I stepped out and the night duty security guard unlocked the sliding door for me, wishing me goodnight. I stood on the pavement for a moment, the night chill creating goosebumps on my bare arms.

Glancing up at the high-rise apartment complexes around me, I thought about Cal; I supposed one drink wouldn't hurt, right? Pulling out my phone and dialling his number, I pressed the phone to my ear and waited for him to pick up. It rang three times before the loud music on the other end of the line pierced my ears.

"Amelia! Are you coming?"

I chuckled, yeah, he was definitely drunk. "I thought I could stop by for one,"

"One? Don't be daft. Go big or go home, I say,"

Rolling my eyes playfully, I nodded to myself, "Alright. Text me the address."

Knocking on the apartment door, I sent a text to say that I was outside in case I wasn't heard over the music. A minute later, the door swung open, "She's here!"

A few cheers filled the room as I walked in, making me laugh. I recognised the guys from the pub, but there were a handful more people that I was yet to meet. Cal instantly threw an arm around my shoulder, dragging me around the room to introduce me to everyone.

Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, though part of that could be to do with the amount of alcohol they'd already consumed this evening. However, there was one guy that I met called Tobi who was very much on my level, apparently, he doesn't drink.

I'd been in the apartment around twenty minutes and had now met all of the 'Sidemen'. I'd learned that this was the group that Harry had joined when he moved to London, they were all YouTubers. A few of their girlfriends were also at the gathering which was a nice break in the drunken testosterone consuming the place.

Talia, Simon's girlfriend, led me over to the drinks and I gratefully poured myself a glass of wine.

"Long day?" She asked, an amused look on her face.

"Can you tell?" I laughed, taking a large gulp.

We chatted for a while as I rested back against the countertop before I felt a weight being knocked into me, pouring wine all down my dress. Gasping at the contact, I turned to see Harry standing there with wide eyes.

"Shit, sorry... uh, fuck,"

"It's fine," I sighed, reaching for the kitchen towel and dabbing the fabric lightly.

"Who decides to stand there? Here, have my hoodie," He said, starting to take it off, I stopped him.

"God, I said it's fine, Harry. I'll wash it later."

Talia glanced between us, brows raised. Harry rolled his eyes and muttered another sorry before heading off to God knows where.

"Jesus, if I didn't know any better I'd say you hated each other."

I looked up quickly, "What do you mean? We barely know each other."

She shrugged and sipped her wine before taking me into Simon's room where she said she had some spare clothes. I thanked her as she passed me some joggers and a baggy t-shirt, now slightly embarrassed that this was the first impression I was giving.

"So you are Cal are cute together," Talia broke the silence, sitting with one leg crossed over the other on the end of the bed.

"Thanks," I smiled softly, peeling off the dress that was now stuck to me with Pinot Grigio.

Thinking back to her comment about Harry and I as I redressed, I grew anxious. Had Cal noticed the atmosphere between us? It took Talia less than ten seconds.

We made our way back into the living room, most of the boys now playing beer pong. I took in the city lights illuminating through the window before I noticed Harry sitting on the sofa. I made my way over, sitting down beside him. He looked at me briefly before going back to his phone.

"Sorry for snapping, it's been a long day,"

He locked his phone and turned to me, "It's fine, you were always good at starting an argument."

My eyes widened as I laughed in disbelief, tongue in cheek. This was never going to work.

"Fine. Shove your apology," I snapped, getting up and heading over to Cal to inform him that I was going home.

After much debate, I compromised and agreed to stay at Callum's apartment. He gave me his key and I kissed his cheek lightly, saying goodbye to everyone. Everyone but Harry.