N I N E

Christmas was my favourite time of year. It's the one time of year that I finally got to spend some time away, completely guilt free. Whilst not everything stops for Christmas, Mr Acker did and therefore I did, also.

Since Talia's party, Cal and I have been on a good streak. I think the bathroom talk helped and it gave me some clarity, I couldn't continue to think about what could have been, I needed to focus on the present with the good guy that was right in front of me. It was the right thing to do.

"What times your flight again?" Cal asked through the phone, also packing his suitcase to fly home.

"Three-thirty, I should really leave soon."

I was throwing the last bits and pieces into my suitcase; double, triple checking that I had everything and hoping that it wasn't over the weight limit.

"Do you think you'll see Harry?"

There was a brief moment of silence as I paused, hand clutching the zipper of my case. I'd been trying to think of anything but Harry for fear that I'd start spiralling once again. Clearing my throat, I finished zipping my case and set it down on the floor.

"I doubt it, I've managed to avoid him every other Christmas,"

Perhaps avoid was the wrong word to use when talking to Cal, but it was the truth. I knew the Lewis family Christmas routine and providing that it hadn't changed, I knew when and where to avoid - it worked. We chatted for a few moments before I really had to leave for the station, or I'd miss my flight and be stranded in London for the holidays.

Sitting in the terminal, coffee cup in hand, I positioned myself by the destination boards; impatiently waiting for them to tell me which gate I needed to go to. I'd anxiously been glancing around, searching for a familiar face in the sea of strangers, but alas, nothing. Perhaps he'd headed home early.

I hated that he had become an actively conscious thought in my mind, I didn't know what it meant or what I should do about it. It was causing me more stress than I'd like.

No, Amelia. We're not thinking about him anymore.

Finally spotting my gate number, I made my way through Gatwick airport, eager to get on the plane and see my family for the first time all year. It had been particularly difficult finding the time to visit home this year, with Mr Acker placing more responsibility on my shoulders and, honestly, being able to afford the flights in general.

Texting my dad to let him know I was boarding, I put my earphones in and closed my eyes.

"There she is!"

I grinned wide, spotting my dad in the pick-up point, rushing over as quickly as I could with my large suitcase dragging behind me. Embracing him tightly, I was so happy to be home. Guernsey brought me so much comfort and I truly appreciated it the longer that I spent away.

The drive wasn't too long, but I didn't mind either way, it gave us a chance to catch up. My dad and I had a really good relationship and I was grateful for that. The radio played quietly in the background and I glanced out the window every so often to take in the views.

"So... any boys?"

"Dad!"

"Well, I have to ask these things," He shrugged, quickly glancing at me before turning his attention back to the road.

"Uh... yes, if you must know. It's still new but it's going well,"

I could see him smiling small, "As long as you're happy."