26| Twenty Six

“You and I, are separated,

by the fear of. . .

getting close.”

* * *

The following four days seemed to blur into a memory, nothing much to be noticed. The next day after his sister came, the day of Shasthi, Tushar had to go to the job, leaving his sister and Nandini together, who had somehow refused to leave her room since that night. Perhaps, it shouldn't have been a surprise when he came home to find Nandini had cooked for them all, and prepared delicacies at that, albeit a silent as she was, however, not so with his. . . their niece. Even if he could say, his sister and Nandini both were sceptical around each other, his brother-in-law mum and still appearing confused as he had been before, not knowing what to say actually, added to the thick uncomfortable atmosphere around them.

Their little Jiniya, however, wasn't a bit affected. She had, all those days, run around the house, bouncing over, with her colourful tutu dress swimming in the air, her jovial giggles hanging in the air around them, and Tushar couldn't be happier. Those days, he had noticed Nandini. He had noticed her in ways he shouldn't. She was happy. Nandini was so lively around Jiya, always smiling and talking with her, just like. . . just like how she used to. It felt as if that part of Nandini, the cheerful yet the mature one, returned.

Saptami night it was, when he had, for the very first time, listened to her giggles. It wasn't just an enjoyable day for him, as he had to work in the pujo pandal, as he was also required to help the puja committee of their neighbourhood; he couldn't be at home for most of the day, only for lunch, where he had glimpsed at Nandini who had been playing with Jiniya. That evening, he had asked Tulika to take Nandini with them also, who, for that night planned for an outing. Of course, it was gladly accepted by both of them, but as he had surmised, it was his wife who politely declined, also asking if she could help them with Jiniya. Tulika was almost delighted with Nandini's wants, she, herself wishing for a night with her husband, as a couple, and left Jiniya, who was nothing but smiling, not bothering to comprehend anything.

That night, when he returned, it was fifteen minutes to nine. Nandini had opened the door for him, who, nevertheless, said nothing but scurried to the kitchen. After dinner, twenty minutes later or so, when he was near Nandini's room, where he knew his Jiya was, he heard it. His little Jiya's eager burst of laughter. He had smiled, but his smile had come to an end, when a giggle came crossing the barriers to his ears, a bubbly, seemingly shy one, that felt stronger than anything as his feet had stopped by the door. He couldn't believe his ears, that how her always monotonous, breathy voice could hold out such a cute, pleasant sound. It felt as if it were music to his ears, the harshness, the passionless tone in her words from times ago, long forgotten.

And, somehow, Tushar had found her laughter more pleasing than anything else.

Somehow, he knew, he couldn't forget, for his heart had carved that tune to its depths.

.

On the day of Ashtami, Tulika was supposed to visit her in-laws in another city, and even if she had requested Tushar to come along, with Nandini also, he refused. He had already known Nandini wouldn't be comfortable. They had left early morning, along with Jiniya, and that evening, Naitee called, asking him and Nandini to join with her, their mother and father for a family outing. He wanted to go, oh, very much at that, but when he went to ask Nandini, she, this time too, refused. She said her presence wasn't needed, at least, not to the Goddess, who had refused to listen to her, but she didn't hold Tushar back.