The Princess & the Mermaid

3rd POV
11/7/21
× × ×
A lost royal and a woman of the water find each other and befriend each other
× × ×
Story blurb using 2 of my OCs
I'm always open to criticism!
× × ×

The Unicorn Princess was a sight to behold. She was blessed with deep, dark, chestnut skin that was kissed with light freckles all over. Long, dreads that were so light a pink they may as well be white, some of them gathered up in a small, fluffy and unbraided ponytail, decorated in her favorite kind of lily. Even the circlet that sat upon her head was made of gems and lilies. Her figure-hugging dress was a rose pink, accented with soft greens and complimenting whites, and had a thousand layers of lace beneath. Most striking of all was her big, soft green eyes and bright smile. 

Everything that draped from her--her clothes, hair--it reached for the ground, like it was trying to keep her to the earth, even though it all showed how much she was meant to be lifted from the ground, not dragging anything on it.

The whole scene looked like a dream, a beautiful princess in stunning garb looking around in wonder in a clearing that looked like it came from the world's greatest painter. Mihiro couldn't help but notice it all as the princess wandered around. The young woman was simply striking in how comforting she looked, the friendly and calming aura that exuded from her.

Mihiro herself wished xe had such beauty where she was, eyes peeking out from the water of the lagoon. Xer rosy, magenta skin with its stark, blush colored vitiligo splotches all over her own skin was certainly noticeable in contrast to the dark water, and the mermaid found herself lucky that the princess had yet to notice her staring. 

The jade eyes found her dark, aqua eyes. Seashells, the mermaid ducked under the water.

"Hey! Wait!" The dark skinned girl picked up her dress and rushed over to where the grass met the sand, and the sand met the water. The princess wished lamented that she did not have better shoes for walking around a forest, but in her defense, she didn't generally have to do a lot of walking, most certainly in forests. 

Mihiro paused several yards beneath the surface. Xer finned ears just picked up the girl's protest. Hesitancy reigned in her head, but curiosity was too strong, and taking over. The mer found herself giving in. With a few swishes of the tail, the pink skinned girl's eyes peered over the water's surface once again.

The princess backed up from her crouching position from over the water and watched as two hair buns rose up, followed by the rest of the woman's curly, voluminous hair, down to her slanted, dark eyes. The white-haired girl wondered if the hair of the mermaid (as she appeared to be  by everything that was currently visible) was aqua, seafoam, or some sort of aqua seafoam color.

"Hi," the princess offered quietly, shyly. Her wispy, untamed bangs fell in front of her face instead of framing it as they had when Mihiro was first admiring her. She lifted her dress so her skin was on the damp shore, and the gown draped around it, and gathered her hanging sleeves so they stayed in her lap.

Mihiro rose a bit more from the water so the rest of xer face was visible. 

"Hello," is what fell from her blue painted lips, just as soft as the girl in front of her.

"I'm Kokoro! Who are you?" The dark skinned girl enthusiastically introduced herself, jumping forwards in her excitement. It was more than the mermaid expected after the initial greeting. Kokoro seemed to realize that too, and backed away just a bit.

"Ah, yes. The Unicorn Princess. I'd forgotten your name," Mihiro said awkwardly. "We don't get much news from the surface lands, much less visitors."