The Forest Witch & her Wife

3rd POV
11/14/21
× × ×
A witch tries to get her wife to hurry up so they can make their son's sporting event
× × ×
Just another blurb, a scene between two of my characters. Criticism and story ideas always welcome. Honestly not super into this one.
× × ×

The indigenous woman tapped her foot on the ground, somewhat impatiently.

"Are you done yet?" Winona called at the woman who hovered at the higher shelves. Her wife didn't respond. "Don't bother pretending you forgot to put in your hearing aids!"

"Not quite, hon!" Harlowe called back, amused with her wife's usual deadpan. She leaned backwards in her chair made of magical glyphs that kept her suspended. She continued to survey the bookshelves.

Winona sighed. Harlowe was lucky loved her. Nona rubbed at the wedding band on her finger. The forest witch ran a hand through her tied up raven hair, right up to the bun that fell into a braid that went down to her knees. Her arms were crossed with one hand fidgeting with the deep green fabric of her forest witch uniform. One foot tapped the toe of her ankle boot on the carpeted floor. 

"You know Seiichi is going to be quite displeased if we are late for his fencing performance," the witch said, hoping that mentioning their son would get her wife moving. Seiichi's fencing event wasn't for a while, but Winona always preferred to get to events early, especially important events. She liked to keep a schedule. Harlowe had always been the more free-spirited one, who took her time and preferred to keep things loose.

"Oh, you know as long as we get there by the time he starts, he doesn't mind. He's fifteen, he probably wants us to keep a fair distance from his friends and hobbies anyways," the hovering mage chuckled. She used her magic to move her closer and grab a sizeable book, before lowering herself a shelf and grabbing a thin book, setting it atop the thick one on her lap. 

Winona rolled her eyes. Her wife's preference for taking her time (or time blindness, as the witch insisted) had gotten them into trouble before, such as the one time they had arrived quite late to her tribe's pow wow, wich Winona had been quite upset about. Harlowe had felt horrible, but she was set in her habits, or maybe undiagnosed ADHD (they should probably get that checked out).

Winona resigned herself to admiring her wife. She watched as her spouse's cedar dreads swayed, her one dark brown eye and one royal purple eye surveyed the books. and complimented her milk chocolate skin. She enjoyed the look of her wife's mage uniform on her, a gold-lined purple vest over a white dress, with white knee high socks and matching purple flats. Where Harlowe had gold glyph details on her dress, Winona wore slim-fitting pants and a tunic, with roses on each lapel and leaves in her lair from spending all day in the greenhouse and woods.

Her wife giggled, somewhat flustered. "You know you could do literally anything else. You don't have to just sit here and watch me." By now, she had a stack of books on her lap that she kept in place with one hand.

"And you could put those books away on your desk, because anymore and they'll all fall to the ground. You might ruin some of the spines."

Harlowe shook her head before turning her eyes back to the bookstack. She squinted at it, seeming to realize her partner was right. She smiled awkwardly at Winona before slowly lowering herself on her makeshift glyph chair into her actual wheelchair, and wheeled herself over to her wife. Winona picked up a few of the magical texts and walked beside the woman, who used her glyph magic to automate the wheelchair and push it forwards.

They walked out of the magical library pocket dimension and into Harlowe's office, and set the books to one side of the desk.

"Why do you need all these textbooks anyways? You're the leading expert in glyph magic in the world, you hardly need them" Winona commented.

"Oh babe, you give me too much credit. But I need them for my paper! One of the mage institutions requested a paper on my findings about some of my findings. Glyph magic is a mastery of magical science, and so I need to show that!" The black woman explained enthusiastically. Her wife nodded.

"Mm. Well, you know I've never had to do that. Elemental magic is a mastery of emotions. Personally, I'm glad no one has ever requested a paper from me eber since I got out of high school."

Harlowe giggled melodically once again. "Sweetie, you're too good at what you do. Pretty sure they're too afraid of you to request much of anything! Its not everyday somebody masters elemental magic so completely."

Winona let a bigger smile slip than she'd been letting on her face all day. "Now who's giving who too much credit?" Not that Winona thought she was incorrect. It allowed her and her family to go largely unbothered by the more unsavory figures in the magical communities.

"Oh I'm giving you all the credit you deserve! Now, you mentioned Seiichi's fencing thing earlier?"

"Yes, we've yet to mention to the coach we'll be away for a bit visiting my family, remember?"

Remembrance sparked in Harlowe's heterochrome eyes as they exited the office and strolled through their house, the conversation continuing on.

Winona loved her wife, and made sure to never tell her about who she tangled in her vines to keep them safe and on schedule. She needed no mastery to keep her wife and son safe and unbothered.