Chapter 38: Showcase

"Are you sure you're still up for this?" Yeji nudges the blonde beside her. Her girlfriend hasn't been smiling as much today in the amount of time that she's seen her, and although Yeji knows the reason, it still worries her. "My offer to kidnap you is still on the table. You just have to say the word. I'll pick you up and sprint right out of here."

After a few spurts of air escape from her nose, Ryujin can't help giving in to her laughter. It clearly wasn't a joke considering Yeji's face sported too serious of an expression and that only made it funnier. "I appreciate the thought, but I think it would be better if we stayed. I'll have to face the public soon enough. At least this way it's not that direct."

"I suppose that's true, but only if you're sure." Yeji waits for a nod, then slowly wraps an arm around Ryujin, whereas the latter takes this opportunity to rest her head on Yeji's shoulders. "We can run through the dance once more if it might help distract you. What do you think?"

"I mean, it's not a terrible idea, but I also don't think it'll be very effective."

"How about a bear hug?"

"What's a bear hu— OOF!" Yeji doesn't hesitate to swiftly wrap her other arm around her girlfriend as well and squeeze her as tight as she can. It was a little hard to breathe at first, but Ryujin welcomes the affection and mimics her partner's actions. She allows her eyes to close once Yeji's hold lessens to that of a calmer embrace, and she sighs softly.

The temperature in the room is the same as it was a minute ago, yet she feels such an indescribable amount of warmth. The realization causes her smile to widen, ear to ear. She's been afraid that she'll never forgive herself, but Yeji made the intensity of that thought crack little by little, day by day. The love she feels on the redhead's end continues to show, some days in ways she hasn't seen prior, and it makes her so happy she could cry. Taking it slower is exactly what she needed, and she's thankful Yeji understood that.

"Ahem."

Both women turn their heads, their eyes landing on none other than Mr. Park. Neither is happy to see his face. His presence was anticipated, yes, but only out somewhere in the crowd, not here backstage where he has no business.

"I'm not here to pick a fight."

"You picked one the moment you stepped foot in this room, you fucking bast— "

"Ryujin." Yeji intertwines their fingers, tugs her gently. There's no trace of eagerness, no hint of urgency. She's genuinely giving the latter a choice, and the trust that comes with it is what makes Ryujin listen. Yeji then faces her stepfather, eyes narrow. "You're not welcome to come in here and push her buttons."

'Oh.' Ryujin thinks to herself. She was so focused on her newfound anger driven by his presence that she didn't realize he knew that himself.

"I've just come to talk."

"Neither of us cares about anything you have to say. I suggest you leave."

"Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to rid my sight of the two of you together."

"Then get lost." Her tone is absolutely bitter. She doesn't believe his intentions weren't bad from the start. They always are.

Mr. Park had something to say, a particular topic he'd like to discuss, but because of Yeji's attitude, he decided against it. Honestly, while he did know Ryujin was likely to lash out at him upon entry, the underlying reason was different than implied.

"If you insist." His facial expression doesn't change as he takes a few steps back before turning away entirely, proceeding down the direction he came. No matter what he says or how he confronts her, Yeji doesn't have it in her to forgive him, and she doesn't think she ever will.