00

Being a shape-shifter comes with its perks, one of which is an abnormally high tolerance for alcohol. Embry Call has never blacked out from alcohol before, but it seems since he's stopped shifting for the most part over the last five years, his tolerance wasn't able to keep up. While it had seemed like a good idea to finish off the better part of a bottle of rum at the pre before going out, the memories of last night are not flooding back, no matter how much he stares up at the ceiling.

It seems that after last night he made it back to the home he, Quil, and Claire share. He is in his own bed, at least.

His head is pounding too. It seems the effects of a hangover also plague him. The light peers in through the gaps in the blinds, and Embry covers his eyes. It must be later than he had expected.

He goes to check the alarm clock next to his bed, only to find a girl inside. He's never hooked up with someone and forgotten about it. She's still sleeping, her eyes firmly closed.

As he gets up, naked in bed, he sorts through the pile of their clothes on the floor. Her dress is sparkly. It reminds him of something Claire would wear, only the fabric isn't itchy when he touches it.

Embry pulls his bants on, zipping and buttoning up the jeans. Clubbing isn't really his deal. Back in the day, Embry, Jacob and Quil would hit up parties in Port Angeles and get Rachel, Jacob's sister, to pick them up. She's been living in Seattle for years now, so her help is out of the question. He reflects that time is passing him by so quickly.

Jacob got married two weeks ago, and Quil's got a baby on the way. One of their last hurrahs and he blacked it out.

"Hey," Embry whispers once he pulls his shirt over his head. He turns to the girl, not wanting to startle her. He hopes she remembers the events of last night because he certainly does not. "Excuse me."

Her eyes flash wide open, and she pulls back, staring at Embry.

Oh dear God. It's her. A tidal wave washes over him, sucking him in deep with its undertow. He can hear her breathing, soft and delicate, and he looks at her pale, beautiful face, her cheeks flushed red and her hair a mess.

It's his imprint. And he already has had sex with her. And he's completely forgotten every second of it.

"Shit," she manages. She holds up the sheet to her chest as she rushes out of bed.

Normally, Embry would give her dignity and look away, but he cannot. She's here. He's the last one in the pack and finally, here she is. Years of longing, waiting and wanting, and she's here.

She's pulling on her clothes rapidly and tying her hair up. He watches her search the floor, and finally find her purse on the dresser.

"What's the rush?" he swallows, certain she can hear his panic. It is painful, intense. "Do you want a coffee?"

"I'm good," she says quickly, ruffling through her purse. She lifts her head and looks at him. "Thanks."

"I haven't seen you around before," he says. He knows she's not from La Push. She's Asian, after all, and unless she's mixed race and also Indigenous, she doesn't belong here. "Are you new to town?"

"Yes," she pulls out her phone and tries to turn it on. The black screen stares back at her, and Embry swears in the reflection he sees a tear reach her eye.

She turns to Embry, looks him up and down, "can you call me a cab?"

"It'll take maybe half an hour to get back to Forks," he tells her, hoping she remembers the cab ride they must've taken home last night. Maybe they got Claire to drive since she cannot drink until she gives birth. "I can give you a ride."

"Damn it," she mutters to herself, putting the phone back in her purse.

She looks up at him, and he swears his heart burns inside him. Warmer than his skin, which runs hot. Warmer than anything he has ever felt before.

"So do... do you want the ride?" he asks, running a hand through his hair. It sticks up on end; he's sure of it. That is the least of his problems right now. He needs to know more about her.

"I kind of live out in the middle of nowhere," she leans back against the dresser, pressing her weight into it.

"I know Forks pretty well," he explains.

She bites her lip, "just drive me back to the bar and then order me a cab there."

Though he'd rather drive her back to her house, he nods his head. He heads into the common area of the house.

Quil and Claire are there, as are Jacob and Fawn.

He was expecting Quil and Claire. They pay the majority of the rent to Jacob after all. He's found a cheap place elsewhere on the reservation where he's going to move after Claire gives birth. Years of saving have paid off, and besides, everywhere on the reservation is cheap as dirt anyway.

Fawn and Jacob must've crashed rather than driven home. Embry wonders if he and the girl took a cab or if the six of them all piled into Claire's minivan. She hates the van, says it makes her look like a soccer mom. Quil is convinced she's going to become one anyway.

"Hey," Embry manages.

"Fawn made crepes," Jacob says, careful not to look at the girl accompanying Embry. "Want some?"

"I've got to get going," she says.

Quil swallows a giant mouthful, "they are delicious though."

Fawn looks at Embry. She furrows her brow and nudges Jacob. Embry watches as she looks from his face to the girl with him.

"You know, I forgot your name," Fawn steps closer, hitting her own head playfully. She's not talking to Embry but the girl. "I'm Fawn. What's your name?"

~~~~~

I promise not all the chapters will be this short. This is just an intro, so it's just going to be a couple of words. I'm excited about this though! It's very different in terms of tone from Senseless. Regardless, I hope you enjoy it!