16

I get in his car, and we drive over to his house.

"Who are Sam and Emily?" I ask.

He shrugs, "Sam was the leader of our pack before Jacob broke off and we formed our own pack. We stopped shifting around the time the Cullens left town."

So, they literally consider themselves wolves. A pack and all that. They defy the lies that I've come to know. I was never big on physics, but I still learned the law of conservation of mass. It doesn't make sense, how warm they run, nor how big they are.

"What are the Cullens?" I ask.

He laughs, "you're really impatient, aren't you? Can't wait until tonight?"

"I can," I insist.

Small talk feels impossible when I'm next to someone superhuman. He continues to drive, and I'm thankful that for once it isn't rainy. We live in the gloomiest, cloudiest part of the world. I don't know how he can stand it. Maybe it's because all he knows is darkness. After all, he sheds his own light, so why would he need the sun?

"When is Henry coming home?" Embry asks.

I shrug, "late tomorrow. He might even stay the next night, again."

"You guys don't really seem to keep tabs on each other," he points out. "You've spent the night at mine a few times and he seems to have no idea. Unless you two are in an open relationship and I've made a mistake."

I wouldn't want an open relationship, and Henry would either. He likes control and perfection, and he wouldn't be able to stand that I give even the smallest bit of affection to another man. Besides, as soon as I get permission to see someone else, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to stand him. Already, I cannot.

"What he doesn't know won't hurt him," I point out. It's technically true, but no good person has ever said it.

We drive past the trees, and eventually, we end up in Embry's driveway. I'm sweating, my palpitating heart threatens to burst. I recognize the signs of anxiety, but I can't rationally think through it. Only Claire is a bit miffed. Everyone else doesn't care. Maybe they ought to, but they don't. It doesn't make sense why.

"You ready?" he asks.

He takes my hand, our fingers intertwining. I steal his warmth, just like I've stolen his affection. Passively, cruelly. He has so much to give so I take, but eventually, his pot will run dry. He will want nothing to do with me, and I shouldn't be surprised.

"I don't think so," I admit, looking over at him.

He frowns, "you'll be fine. I promise."

So, he is the kind of guy who doesn't keep his promises. At least, he is the kind to exaggerate, to pledge things to me that are impossible to keep. Perhaps it would be in my best interest to go home. I can't drive there myself, not only because I don't have a car but because I've had a bit to drink.

"You'd really lie to me?" I ask.

"You want me to be honest?" he asks. He looks out the front window, and then back at me. "They're going to be a bit weird, but I doubt anyone will bring it up. They know things you don't know, after all."

I know that there are secrets between us. I don't mind them. They feel necessary. Although, I feel like it would be safer if he revealed the things he has hidden.

"Alright," I manage. "Let's go in."

He gets out of the car, and as I'm about to exit, he rounds to my side of the car and opens the door for me. I take off my seatbelt and then I climb out. He puts his arm around my shoulder. I don't even mind being perceived as his.