11: The Prodigal Son Returns

ELEVEN: THE PRODIGAL SON RETURNS
APRIL 18
PHOEBE DOMINGO

"THIS PLACE IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING," Phoebe gushed, gazing around at the secluded spot in the vineyard where she and Drew were spending their lunch. In an effort to keep their relationship from turning into a friendship with occasional sex, Drew insisted on taking Phoebe on a romantic date every weekend. That weekend's date was a picnic among sweet, blossoming grapevines and chatty birds around them. Phoebe felt like she was in the middle of a fairytale.

"I thought you might like it," he smiled back, leaning forward and pecking her cheek. "We need to get away from the others every now and then, don't you think?"

She nodded. "Did you guys pick out your tuxes for prom?" she asked. Yesterday, while she and the girls spent hours picking out couture, the guys spent a fraction of that time trying on tuxes. According to Kate, Cam had a traditionally boring suit but Phoebe hadn't gotten a chance to talk to Drew about his.

"Found a nice one, complete with a bowtie and all," Drew beamed proudly. "You know what was weird? The entire time, Rogers sat there reading Gatsby. Like he absolutely hated every minute of it."

Phoebe shrugged complacently. "Maybe that's just who Logan is. I mean, he couldn't wait to get away from all of us when we got back from the attack in Purgatory. Sure, he lost his best friend but he disappeared so quickly after Dr. K's funeral. And he didn't even say goodbye."

"Technically, he was kidnapped by the Darks shortly after," Drew reminded her, smirking. "It's not like he was trying to completely abandon us, darling."

Phoebe shrugged away the details. "My point is, I think he prefers to be alone. Away from all of this mess."

Drew moved so he was laying down and then pulled Phoebe so she could lay with him. She nestled her head on his chest and their fingers intertwined.

"I think you should talk to Wil," Phoebe said after a while and Drew lifted his head to look at her.

"Diamond, why?"

"She and Damon broke up," Phoebe revealed. "And I get the feeling it wasn't a mutual decision. Between losing her magic and now losing him, she's a mess. I'm trying but I can't get through to her. And you've always been good with her so I thought you could try."

Drew nodded. "I'll talk to her," he promised, rubbing her shoulder to ease her worry. "She'll be okay. This is what she does."

Phoebe chuckled at the irony. "You know, the last time someone said that, she warped off to another Realm and was killed by Jeremiah."

A deep laugh rumbled in his chest beneath her.

"You worry too much."

She nestled closer to him.

"I happen to think I worry the perfect amount. Maybe you don't worry enough."

"I am laying in the middle of a vineyard with the girl I love in my arms," he let out a happy breath. "Darling, I'm not worried about a thing."

WHEN THE SUN TURNED TO A blend of oranges and pinks, Phoebe and Drew packed up their picnic and made their way back to the house—just in time for dinner. Walter and Clarion were learning the ins and outs of the kitchen (which both Diamond twins claimed was a first for their parents) and judging by the smells of tomatoes, basil, and garlic wafting throughout the first floor, Phoebe concluded they were in for some sort of Italian cuisine.