14: The Calm

FOURTEEN: THE CALM 
MAY 5
NICOLE BRADLEY

"I FOUND IT," SAID KATE, waking Nicole that Thursday morning. She was wearing an eager smile and two sizable bags under her eyes that suggested she hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.

Nicole sat up in bed and yawned. "Found what?"

"The Vacancy Stone," answered Kate like Nicole was supposed to know what that was. "It took some and Liam thought it was going to be impossible to track down but we found some records from the Armory's Archive Room and we found it. The Vacancy Stone is at the Armory."

"The Vacancy Stone?" Nicole asked while trying to catch up. "The Armory? Wait, Liam? You guys were working together on this?"

Kate nodded. "He's been helping me. And we found the Stone so all we have to do is go there and steal it and then we can give it to the Resistance and they can use it on Jeremiah. Then we can go home, Nic!"

Nicole began chuckling at the ridiculousness of Kate's plan. "Oh, that's all?"

Catching Nicole's sarcasm, Kate rolled her eyes and took a seat on the bed with her. "I know it sounds like a lot but it's something. We have a lead. Do you know how long it's been since we've had a lead? So maybe we still have to work out some kinks but we have time to do that—once we get the Vacancy Stone."

"And how do you propose we do that?" Nicole asked, remembering the last time they broke into the Armory. The place was heavily surveilled and while there, she nearly ran into her parents. Sneaking in to steal what was probably a heavily guarded asset seemed almost impossible.

"Well," Kate said, smiling as she explained the next part of her plan. "I talked to Leo. This weekend, the Armory has a conference scheduled with the Resistance. Leo said they clear out every nonessential person from the building and those who remain gather in a room upstairs for the call. Wil and I will crash the call, causing a distraction. We'll say we want to talk to our family since the Armory has the only secure line. Besides, we're still their princesses. It's not like they can kick us out. While we're distracting them, you and the others will find the Archives Room and get the stone."

"You really think that's going to work?" Nicole asked, doubt in her voice. "We're not exactly known for executing casualty-free plans."

"Well that's going to change this weekend," Kate decided confidently. "I already talked to Cam, Drew and Phoebe. And Liam's catching up Logan, Wil and Chloe. It's a four-hour drive so we can leave after lunch and get there in time for the call that night."

"And Damon?" Nicole asked next.

Kate bit her lip. "We're, um, we're not telling him."

Nicole's jaw practically dropped. "What? Kate, we have to. He knows everything about everything. He can help us."

"He can stop us," Kate corrected. "You're right. He does know a lot about everything which means he'll know this mission isn't exactly risk-free."

"Kate," Nicole lowered her voice. "What are you not telling me? What does this stone do?"

Kate was instantly very nervous. "The Vacancy Stone has the ability to syphon a wizard's magic from them."

"Right," Nicole nodded because she remembered that much. "Which is why we can use it against Jeremiah. But why would it be dangerous? The Armory won't hurt us. They might kick us out or tell your parents that we're there but it's not dangerous."