24: Wherever Is Your Heart

TWENTY-FOUR: WHEREVER IS YOUR HEART
MAY 28
KATE DIAMOND

"WE NOW REACH THE PART of this ceremony where the bride and groom will exchange vows with each other," Levi Heart read as he continued to officiate the wedding between Phoebe and Drew. For someone who had only been ordained hours earlier, Levi was doing a pretty good job. That was, until he leaned close to Drew and whispered through his teeth, "You guys wrote vows for each other, right?"

Kate and the others laughed while Drew nodded. Then he removed a piece of paper from the pocket of his suit, on which he'd written and rewritten his vows to the girl he loved.

"Phoebe," he read from his own writing, blinking up at her for a moment before he continued. "As your husband, I vow to laugh at your jokes even though they're almost never funny. And I vow to carry you to bed when you fall asleep on the couch even though you told me that you weren't tired. I vow to only call you tiny, elfish, or pocket-sized once and to grab your butt a minimum of three times daily. I vow to respect you and cherish you and encourage you to be the best version of you because you make me the best version of me. I vow to be your best friend and to love you beyond a limit either of us can fathom. I will stay true to you always and to be your family. I vow to love you—wholly, irresponsibly, and fearlessly—now and forever."

Kate reached over and gave Nicole's hand a squeeze, wrapped up in emotion over Drew's surprisingly profound vows. Meanwhile, Drew gestured to Wil—who, as both maid of honor and best man was looking after the rings—and she passed him a white gold ring with tiny diamonds encrusted in the band. Drew took it and then carefully slipped it onto Phoebe's finger. Nicole passed Kate a fresh tissue (she thoughtfully brought a pack along to the ceremony and had already gone through four since the ceremony began) and Kate used it to dab the corners of her eyes where she'd begun tearing up. Up on the archway, Phoebe gazed down at her ring and then sniffled.

"Oh, wow," she said, giggling softly which sounded more laughs from their friends. "Tough act to follow."

Drew shrugged humbly and then Phoebe gestured to Wil who handed her the thicker wedding band they'd picked out for Drew. Holding his hand in hers and the ring in the other, she began reciting her own vows.

"Drew, as your wife, I vow to love you even when I can't stand you—which is often, by the way," she giggled. "I vow to be open and honest with you and to tell you if you have broccoli in your teeth or toilet paper on your shoe. I vow to remember that you have every intention of being a good husband even if you're a sucky one, and to continue telling you jokes even if they are really awful. I vow to love you—wholly, irresponsibly, and fearlessly—now and forever."

She pushed the ring down Drew's finger and then together, they faced Levi who began reading from the book again. He cleared his throat and then tugged at the tie around his neck.

"Bride—er, sorry," he apologized quickly after making the error. "Phoebe, do you take Groom—uh, I mean Drew—to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

Phoebe nodded, staring up wistfully at Drew. "I do."

"And Drew, do you take Phoebe to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Drew winked at Phoebe before he answered, "Of course I do."