Epilogue: The Scholar

EPILOGUE: THE SCHOLAR

OUTSIDE, THE AIR WAS HUMID and the sun was hot. Children played in their pools to keep cool while adult fanned themselves off and sipped on mai tais.

Inside, crisp air conditioning pulsed through the palace's ventilation system while King Walter Diamond watched a single cube of ice skate around a thin layer of whiskey. Sure, it was just passed two in the afternoon but the day had already been a long one.

He'd just finished a hearing with the Royal Council which saw the Banishment of Reagan Grave. She was a student at the Academy—the same age as his daughters, and even Wilmarie's roommate—and she'd been convicted of conspiring with Dark Wizards on the other side of the Veil. After (remarkably accurate) accusations from his daughters and their friends checked out, she was cast away to the Shadow Lands before any damage could be done.

However, there was still plenty of damage control needed.

"Drinking on the job already?"

Entering the office was Walter's colleague and longest friend, Evan Karamazov. While he spent the school year teaching at the Academy, Evan spent his summers around the palace helping Walter wherever he could. There was no one in the Realm the King trusted more.

Evan strutted into Walter's office and dropped a tablet on Walter's desk, which was open to a digital report. Upon closer inspection, it appeared to be a file on a man, a dossier of sorts.

"This is him?" Walter asked and Evan nodded.

"Graduated the Academy before moving to the Mortal World. There, he picked up a few degrees and flew under the radar. He was one of my best students—a master of potions and advanced spellcasting, there's no one I'd trust to keep the Eight safe than him. He's been slinging drinks in some bar in the Mortal World since graduating and I think he's exactly the guy we're looking for."

"Why do I hear a but coming?" Walter asked skeptically.

"Not a but," insisted Evan though his voice didn't sound so sure. "Just two little contingencies. He's the son of a known Dark and God forbid we don't stop the next attack on the Veil, he can bring Bart and the others right to us."

"The Veil will be fine," Walter replied sort of stubbornly. "What's the second thing?"

"He has a sister."

Walter's brow furrowed, unsure what that had to do with anything. "A sister?"

Evan nodded. "A half-sister on their father's side. She's seventeen and lives in the Mortal World—a pretty skilled wizard, though. He's spent most of his life looking after her from afar and he won't leave her. Not for this."

Walter tipped the last of his whiskey back and then folded his arms over his chest while he swallowed.

"Well then," he said, exhaling a deep breath. "I guess we'll be brining them both here. His knowledge is invaluable and can be used to prevent another attack like Miss Grave's as well as protect the Eight."

"Should we call him then?" asked Evan, taking back his tablet and then tapping through the apps. Walter nodded and Evan began connecting for a video call. It rang four times before it was finally answered and on the screen was a tired, hungover-looking young man with an overgrown beard and messy, tousled hair.

"Hello?" he asked through a yawn, rubbing his brown eyes awake. He made a face when the tablet was handed off to Walter and he immediately straightened when he saw the King on the screen.

"Mr. Donovan, I have a proposition for you."