𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧. 𝗡𝗔𝗧 𝗚𝗢𝗧 𝗠𝗘 𝗔 𝗞𝗡𝗜𝗙𝗘

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧: 𝗡𝗔𝗧 𝗚𝗢𝗧 𝗠𝗘 𝗔 𝗞𝗡𝗜𝗙𝗘

INEZ sighed as she wrapped her arms around Steve's chest. She wasn't quite ready to go back to school. She hated not being able to have a conversation with Steve whenever she wanted or not being able to watch a new episode of a show every week.

"Take care of yourself, okay kid?" Steve said as he smiled down at the brunette.

"I should be saying that to you old man," Inez joked with a teasing smile. "I'm going to miss you a lot."

"Are you going to miss me or the TV?" The blonde man quirked an eyebrow at the girl.

"Don't ask questions you don't want answers to Steve-o."

Steve laughed before checking his watch. Noticing there was a minute until the train took off, Steve ushered Inez towards the door. After giving the man one last hug, Inez rushed up the steps and looked out the window. The train whistle blew and the train began to move.

"I love you dad!" Inez called out as she waved at Steve.

She hadn't even noticed her word choice.

Steve smiled at her as the train began to gain speed. He hadn't expected her to start calling him dad. He would never want to try and take the place of her father, the man who raised her. Steve felt his eyes water slightly as he watched the train fade out of his view.

Inez quickly rushed off with her bag that she had taken home instead of her trunk. Looking in different compartments, she eventually found Lee sitting in one and waiting for her.

"I have a very interesting and important story time," Inez announced as she walked into the compartment.

"That's one way to greet someone," Lee sat up a bit. "Now spill."

"Alright," Inez started before explaining everything between what Peggy had revealed to her to the Avengers minus Tony Stark showing up to support her getting adopted.

Lee would add in his little bits of commentary throughout the story, successfully making Inez laugh when she had to mention Peggy. She was thankful for her best friend in that moment. Lee always knew the right thing to say at the right time to make her laugh and Inez didn't know what she would do without him.

"So now I am officially Inez Rogers and I don't think I'm ever talking to Peggy again," Inez finished with a sigh.

"Hey at least you no longer have a last name that sounds like a first name," Lee shrugged as he tossed a Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean in his mouth.

Inez let out a breathy laugh before turning and leaning her back against the window. She closed her eyes as she relaxed, finally feeling calm. There was a knock on the compartment door and a person about Lee's height with purple hair stood in the doorway.

"Hi," the person said nervously as they looked at the pair. "Do you mind if I sit with you two?"

"The more the merrier," Lee smiled and motioned to the spot next to him. "You don't look familiar. Are you new?"

"Oh no I'm not new. I just look different and have a new name and pronouns," the purple haired kid said anxiously.

"I for one, love the look," Inez smiled brightly. "What're your pronouns?"

"I use they them pronouns. Oh, I'm Max by the way."

Inez and Lee began getting to know Max, finding out that their friends were misgendering them even after being corrected. Lee had to physically hold Inez back and promise her that she could handle it when there were less witnesses when Max told the pair.