Chapter 3

We'd spent the last four days in Thailand. Our trip was nearly halfway over! I could not believe it. It beautiful here. We've gone on hikes, relaxed on the beach, tried new foods, met new people, it's a wonderful experience. We still haven't done something super out there that will be the most memorable. Today, Adnan promised a surprise.

I had just finished changing into my lilac swimsuit. The bottoms were tied into little bows at my hips and the top was a twisted bandeau. I had decided to add the strap that went around my neck to add some support.

"Adnan, Scarlett, meet my brother Marco," Paulo said as the two of us went into the main room.

"Hey, nice to meet you. I heard great things about you when I was visiting Bangkok."

"Nice to finally see Adnan Januzaj."

Adnan laughed, "Hi, I'm Scarlett, Adnan's wife."

"Married now?"

"Yes," I smiled.

"Wow! Congratulations!"

"Thanks," we said in unison.

"I just came back from a couple day trip! I brought the paddle boards back, want to give them a try?"

"Well... Why not, as long as it doesn't interfere with what I have planned."

"Yeah, Adnan won't tell me what it is," I added.

"Anyway, let's try them out!"

Marco got the paddle boards and brought them over to the water. He explained how to use them and how to paddle and turn and whatnot. Adnan and I understood and we were just ready to get out there and have fun on the water.

"That's it, enjoy."

"Yay!" I screamed like a little girl as I skipped over and kicked my feet in the water.

Adnan shook his head. I climbed onto the paddle board and it took me a few seconds to find my balance. Once I did, I picked up the paddle and started to move myself farther away from the shore. Adnan followed behind me. It didn't take too long to get far out. I stopped and just stood there. I admired the view and the beautiful ocean. The gusts of wind blew my hair in all different directions. Adnan continued to paddle towards me.

"Uh... What are you doing?"

He didn't answer and instead he pushed me off! I stumbled backwards and fell, dropping my paddle into the water. I resurfaced, but couldn't see a thing because my hair was drenched. It was like a wet mop over my face. I was starting to regret wearing my hair down today. I used my hands to part my hair and wiped my eyes.

"Adnan! What the hell was that for?!"

"I missed my chance to push you into the water yesterday. I should've used my chance when you were practically leaning over the boat."

"You're mean."

"No, it's just that you can't take a joke."

"Hmm..."

"What's that all about?" He questioned, "I don't like the look on your face."

I smirked at him," You're not the only one who can be mean."

I tugged on his board and he fell into the water! I laughed at him when he shook his head, sending drops of water everywhere.

"Stop that, Adnan!"

"Nice move there," he said, referring to me making him fall in the water.

"I know right."

We swam to collect our paddles, then sat on top of our boards. My legs dangled off of each side and into the water. I moved my legs creating little currents of water, little waves.

"I like Thailand, it's nice here."

"The weather is way nicer than Manchester."

"Way better."

Adnan looked back at the beach, "We're pretty far out and I don't know what time it is. I want to go do that thing."

"Oh my god, what thing?!" I said annoyed.

"Oh, nothing."

"Fuck you, Adnan."

"Calm yourself."

"All you've done today is mention this 'surprise' of yours. Why can't you just tell me?!" I pleaded.

"Chill."

"Why can't you tell me? Please?!"

"Because, then it wouldn't be a surprise. Plus, I want you to see for yourself."

"Let's just get out of here, so I can see what you planned."

"Whatever you say."

We paddled back to shore. Adnan called Paulo and his brother. I went inside for a second. My hair had already dried a bit, but I just brushed it and put on a pair of white shorts. I slipped on my flip flops and hopped into the back of their jeep. Adnan sat beside me.

"So, where're we off to?"

"Adnan says we can't tell."

"Aw, come on! Marco, do you know?" He was quiet, "You're in on this too and we just met?!"

"Sorry," he said.

"You guys! Just tell me."

"Shh," Adnan placed a finger against my lips.

I crossed my arms and waited to see where we were being taken. We arrived at some sort of place. I wasn't too sure but it didn't look too promising. There was like this chamber thing, I don't even know what it was, that was high up in the sky. It started to lower itself back to the ground. What the heck was this. I was a bit confused and before I could say anything, I was put onto that thing with Adnan. All of a sudden, the other people on there started strapping our feet together. Um... Ok? We were finally at the top and we had to be at least a good fifty metres off of the ground.

No, no, no. Adnan knew I had a fear of heights. He knew what happened when we went in the London Eye, he knew how terrifying that was for me. He knew that I had a bad experience with heights. Why was he doing this?

By then, I had realized this was bungee jumping. Oh no... I couldn't do this! I can't just plummet fifty feet and expect for everything to be ok. Especially when there's nothing holding you expect for an elastic like string.

"No way I'm doing this, Adnan."

"Shh, it'll be alright." He hugged me.

"Why're you doing this?!"

"You're getting over your fear of heights and trust me, this will be fun."

Fun?! Was he out of his mind?!

"No, Adnan, I can't! What if we fall?!"

He was stroking my hair and he brought my face closer to him, "Do you trust me?"

I thought, "I trust you Adnan."

I placed my head on his chest. One of his arms held my back with the other holding my head against him. I hugged him tight. I felt us get closer to the edge. I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth. I felt his kiss the top of my head before leaning over. I trusted him.

We were falling. I screamed at the top of my lungs and dug my fingernails into Adnan's back. We were falling at an unbelievably fast speed. The wind was blowing through my hair. We plunged into the water below, soaking my hair. We shot back up with my wet hair smacking Adnan in the face. I used one hand to get my hair out of our faces. I opened my eyes to meet his. He was smiling. I smiled back. We continued to bounce up and down until we were finally brought down to the ground. A wave of relief washed over me when we were released.

That, for sure, was one rush of adrenaline.