02.

HOGWARTS IS BETTER IN THE EARLY MORNINGS.

Granted that no one is awake, the campus has a different feel when it's so early in the morning it's still dark. The halls that students would usually be flooding are dead empty, my feet being the only ones on it at the time. Stars sparkle through the windows and the moon is shining bright. There's a distant sound of a howl coming from the Forbidden Forest so I can only assume that it's a full moon and not a waxing gibbous like I had thought.

Even the library that can be creepy in the daylight is better at night. The rows and towns of books are gleaming and not a single piece of literature is out of place. In the corner of my eye, I can see the forbidden section with its twinkling gates and intriguing books. The books scream my name as loudly as they can as the gates try to hush them. I know I shouldn't be breaking in to read highly illegal books but deep down I know I have to. Something seems so important about those books, and I have to find out.

I walk slowly towards the books, constantly looking over my shoulder because I hear something. Something so faint but I know someone's coming here soon. I may be paranoid, but I can't get caught and have this written down. I'm a Pureblood. A L/n Pureblood. It's stupid and insane it risks my family's image all for some books. It's mental. Completely mental.

When I get to the gate, I try alohomora but of course it doesn't work. Hogwarts isn't going to lock highly illegal books and let it be unlocked with a simple spell. After tugging at the lock for a bit—and failing—I turned to my trusty lock pick. Although I was a Pureblood—and my parents were not fans of muggles—my father gifted me a lock pick when I turned 13. He called it his "favorite muggle invention" and had a vast collection of carefully engraved ones he had made. They had ornate handles, ranging from carvings of leaves and flowers to carvings of the L/n Manor. My lock pick had a dark green and black resting handle engraved with small flowers and snakes.

Using my pick, I was able to get into the forbidden section of the library. I was half surprised that no alarm went off the moment the gate opened. You would think that there might be some warning system to the headmaster, but ten minutes passed, and I was still alone. While looking through the titles and picking up the books that piqued my interest, I saw a small notebook resting in between a book about excruciatingly painful curses and the most dangerous potions. I ended adding all three to my pile and made my way out of the library—locking the forbidden section behind me.

As I was treading back to the Slytherin Common Room, I heard Filch and Mrs. Norris heading towards my direction. The only problem is that I couldn't run. Even if I did, I would be caught.

I was in a corridor so wide that Filch would spot me right away.

I didn't know what to do and was panicking. My mother and father would murder me for this incident and then I would be pulled out of Hogwarts and shipped off to Beauxbatons. My mother attended Beauxbatons as a child and loved it there. My father attended Hogwarts and he loved it here. The two constantly bickered about which school I would go to before settling on the agreement that I could go to Hogwarts but one foot out of line would send me to France.

After panicking and pacing back and forth, a mysterious door appeared next to me. It was completely black with a shiny gold handle. It was out of place in the cobblestone wall, but I didn't have time to examine it. Mrs. Norris had just rounded the corner and Filch was right behind her. I quickly pulled the door open and rushed inside and closed the door equally as fast. From the other side I could hear Filch's footsteps rushing towards my door and then banging on it but suddenly it stopped. I stared at the spot the door used to be in curiosity before setting my books down on a coffee table that sat next to a fancy leather cushioned couch.

I opened the black notebook first and examined its blank pages. No one would put an empty notebook in the forbidden section without reason. Revealing charms didn't work on the notebook so I conjured up a quill and began writing.

My name is Y/n L/n.

As soon as I had placed the period on my sentence, it rapidly faded and left me staring at a blank page until somebody else's writing appeared on it.

Hello, Y/n L/n. My name is Tom Riddle. How did you come across my diary?

How peculiar. My Grandfather used to be close friends and went to Hogwarts with a boy of the same name.

It was in the forbidden section of the library. Would you happen to be related to the TMR who went to Hogwarts in the 40s?

He is me.

How is that possible?

I recorded my memories in some more lasting way than ink. But I always knew that there would be those who would not want this diary read.

What do you mean?

I mean that this diary holds memories of terrible things. Things that were covered up. Things that happened at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

When I was younger, my mother told me about the Chamber of Secrets. It was rumored to be holding a dangerous creature that—if released—would rid Hogwarts of all Mudbloods. I assumed that was only the beginning of the terrible things that had happened at the school.

Do you know anything about the Chamber of Secrets?

Riddle's reply came quickly, his writing becoming untidier, as though he was hurrying to tell all he knew.

Of course, I know about the Chamber of Secrets. In my day, they told us it was a legend, that it did not exist. But that was a lie. In my fifth year, the Chamber was opened, and the monster attacked several students, finally killing one. I caught the person who opened the Chamber, and he was expelled. Of course, Dippet didn't want the entire Wizarding community to know what had happened, so he claimed it was a freak accident and begged me to keep my mouth shut. I got a shiny little trophy for not telling anyone and was praised by everyone at the school. I knew that that wouldn't be the end of it. The person behind the attack wasn't imprisoned and bound to do it again.

Merlin that was a lot to take in.

Who was behind the attacks?

I can't tell you.

Oh I thought. He was just going to leave me pondering over some advanced magic. How kind of him.

But I can show you. You'll take a dive into my memory to see who the monster behind the killings was.

With that the journal began glowing and wind seemingly came from nowhere.

All of a sudden, I was falling.

Falling into an endless pit of darkness.

Leaving me with just my thoughts for company.

I was falling all alone until I hit the ground. 

a/n:

not me stealing half of this 

chapter from the actual books 💀