four / all I ask ~ part three

a/n: I'm giving y/n so more backstory than probably necessary but you know what. I do not care!

warnings: language, I think some fighting, peter is so mean but like. if black cat beat YOU up every night you probably would be mean to her too!, anyway rip y/n poor thing lol

"When will I see you again?"

You bit your lip as you adjusted the phone closer to your ear. "I don't know. Hopefully soon."

The silence on the other end was a clear sign of disappointment, and it hurt you, too. "Okay. I guess I can forgive you as long as you bring me a souvenir."

You laughed, "Sure, whatever you want."

You let your sister continue rambling about whatever was going on at her school. Your gaze moved down to your wrist, and the lack of the soulmate mark almost made you lose your concentration on what she was saying.

The soulmate mark was just simple, the same for everyone, and it disappeared whenever you met your other half. You forgot about that - you'd need to cover it somehow so no one noticed it was gone.

"You still there?" Her voice brought you back to the present, and you made yourself respond.

"Yeah, sorry, kid," you rubbed your forehead, "Just been a little stressed. I promise I'm listening."

She didn't know what you were really in New York for. She didn't know who kept sending her money to be able to stay in a nice boarding school. 

You weren't planning on telling her the truth anytime soon.

It was a while later that you finally got off the phone with her. The boarding school was strict about phone calls, and you only got to talk to her once a month if you were lucky. Still, that was somewhat of a blessing - you missed her so much, but it was easier to do what you were doing if she wasn't around.

You frowned down at your desk, which was littered in pictures from what you were doing before she called. All your homework was finished and you needed a distraction from the way it went talking to Peter last night. Unfortunately, you chose to redo your photo wall, and at least half of them had Peter in them.

You picked up one of your favorites, back in your first high school decathlon tournament. He had been riding the high of beating a high school that hadn't lost since the nineties, and his smile was your favorite thing - so you snapped a picture to remember that moment.

That picture of Peter almost seemed to be taunting you, now. It felt really cruel that you universe decided to give you the soulmate you wanted - but made him hate you in return. 

Maybe you deserved it. Stealing wasn't exactly a good thing, even if you tried to justify it by stealing only from rich people who you really believed couldn't have gotten their wealth ethically, anyway. It didn't matter to everyone else, though - stealing was stealing.

And sometimes you hurt people. It wasn't intentional, ever - the bad luck power seemed to have a mind of its own sometimes.

But your eyes moved to the picture of you and your sister, and you remembered why you did it in the first place.

Still, there was a problem now that you didn't think would be one. Your soulmate wouldn't accept you as Black Cat. You actually had a reason to want to stop, which you never had before. Right now it wasn't an option - unless you managed to get a really big win, you still needed to put more away until you could even consider quitting.

Would it even matter, though? The hatred in Peter's words made it clear it would take a while for him to even tolerate you, and even if you stopped...would it change his mind?