Chapter 2

December 15th, 1999

"Steph, she knows."

"What?!"

"Kristen knows."

"No!"

"Yes, she does. I told her about us!"

"Are you insane?! Why did you do that?!", Stevie screamed at him, pulled up the white bedsheets to cover up her bare chest and looked at him in horror.

"Because I can't do this anymore! Steph, I can't live this lie any longer. I love you and I want to be with you..", he said softly and tried to pull her back into his arms but she moved even further away from him.

"Lindsey, I can't believe you did this! I told you to not do that!", she was hysterical by now.

"But I wanted to do that, Steph.."

"You're a father now, Lindsey! You have responsibilities! You can't just break up with the mother of your child! ...And especially not because of me..", the last sentence came out very quietly.

"But breaking up with Kristen doesn't mean I cannot be with my son anymore, Stevie. I'll see him anyway. This has nothing to do with Will. This is about you and me and Kristen. And I don't want to spend the rest of my life with a woman I don't love and meet you behind her back."

"Then we have to stop seeing each other.", she said matter-of-factly.

"You can't say such things, Steph!", he gasped, "There is no way I'll ever stay away from you!"

"Oh, yes there is, Lindsey. I'm not going to destroy another family!"

"You're not..-"

"I am! Can't you see that?!", she cried, "You can't do that to me, Linds. I don't want to be responsible of ruining another child's life by taking its father away. And if this means, we have to stop seeing each other, then.. So be it!"

"No, Steph! No!", he was yelling now.

He had thought this was what she had wanted, that he committed to her and left his girlfriend Kristen for her, the mother of his one-and-a-half-years old son Will. And that was exactly what he had done. He had told Kristen that he hadn't stopped seeing Stevie. That they had never stopped seeing each other, not even when his son had been born. He had told her that Stevie was the love of his life, always had been, and that there was no one who could ever take her place, that they were soulmates, made for each other, that he couldn't live without her.

And Kristen had listened. And cried. And screamed. And in the end, she had begged him to stay. She had fallen down on her knees, tears running down her cheeks, his son screaming upstairs in his crib, while she had desperately tried to get a hold on him and stopped him from leaving her.
He had run outside of the house, gotten on a plane and had made his way to Stevie's hotel in Hilo, Hawaii, where she was currently staying. She had been surprised to see him but had wrapped her arms around his neck, had let him kiss her and as usual carry her right into the bedroom where they had made love for the past three hours until he had just told her what he had done.

"Lindsey, it's over! I want you to go!", she said suddenly, stood up and walked into the bathroom, locking the door behind her.

He looked after her in shock. That could not be true. She was not leaving him right now!

He got dressed and knocked desperately at the bathroom door but she didn't open up nor answered his questions.

Eventually, he heard her getting into the shower and so he sat down in the living-area of her suite and watched the fire that was crackling in the fireplace in front of him. Why was it always so fucking complicated with the two of them? Why did things never work out? It was either him or her who managed to ruin everything, so they ended up with broken hearts again. He wanted to make things right. He loved her for god's sake! He couldn't stay away from her. She was the love of his life. The only person that truly knew him for who he was as a person, not as a famous rockstar. She had known him almost his entire life. What they had was something so entirely special that he just couldn't give her up. And hell, he had tried! How often had he tried to replace her. It had never worked. She was his soulmate.