Chapter 11

I thought I was hallucinating when I heard clattering sounds from the kitchen. When I realized the sounds were coming from Lucas, I was already at the entrance, watching him cook.

   I blamed myself for rushing down so early, as usually I would wait about twenty minutes past ten before coming down, but because I had gotten accustomed to the house, I started breaking some rules. I knew I didn't have the guts to break the rules outrightly, so most of the time I just hoped he wasn't downstairs. But today was different.

Once he saw me, he looked up and smiled at me before proceeding to cut the vegetables. I blinked twice to make sure what I was seeing was real, but he was still there, even after I opened my eyes.

It wasn't a dream, Lucas just smiled at me, I thought before the doubts started playing in. I started to wonder why he was being nice. I could only conclude that he wanted something from me, because I couldn't think of any other reason for his behavior.

I cleared my throat as I walked in, knowing that there was no way I could run back to my room, although that seemed like a plausible idea. I feared he might choose not to leave the kitchen for the rest of the day, which would leave me hungry. The last thing I wanted to do was settle for chocolate and chips for breakfast lunch and dinner.

As I was about to grab the pot, I smelled a masculine scent behind me, and before I knew it, Lucas grabbed the pot and handed it to me.

'OK just wake me up already. This must be a goddamned dream because what the HELL!!

I screamed in my head, the last thing I would have ever imagined was Lucas being nice to me, talk less of helping me to grab stuff. At this point I was more sure that he wanted something from me and the question now is if I could give him what he wanted.

" What do you wanna prepare?" he asked, cutting off my thoughts as he planted his butt on the counter while staring right at me in the eye.

I suddenly felt small under his scrutinizing eyes and since I had to keep my weak appearance up, I looked down instead before intentionally replying in a stammer.

" um I was thinking of preparing rice and" 

I lied, I didn't even know how to cook rice. I wanted to tell him noodles, but I feared he would ridicule me for always having noodles for breakfast, so I had to lie. He cut me off short before I could finish.

"Great! Am also making the same thing." he added.

He also wanted to prepare rice? What has that got to do with me then? He isn't about to tell me to prepare his food too right? That wouldn't be surprising since that was one of my jobs in this house but... He isn't about to right? No wonder he was being so nice, I just know he had to have something up his sleeves.

He probably saw the big question mark hanging on my head because he immediately continued.

"um I have more than enough prepared, so I was wondering if you wanted some?"  He offered.

Lucas offering me his food? That was almost impossible, and even if there existed a five percent chance that he was being pleasant, I would prefer to stay safe because my experience had taught me to avoid his kindness. But Hell yeah, I wanted to try his food! I was so tired of eating the trash I make anyway, but I was afraid to voice my thoughts out. What if he was just kidding, then I would embarrass myself even more.

I pondered over it for a while before deciding to accept his offer, not because I love being pranked and almost choking to death. I just took a risky dare. What if I could manage to get close to him? That would make my assignment easier and life in general for the both of us because I get to finish my work while at the same time coexisting peacefully under the same roof. It sounded like a win-win situation if you ask me.

" huhh... Ok" I replied, trying to sound reluctant even though I already couldn't wait to start eating.

Within minutes, he served the food on the dining table and the smell was enough to make my mouth water. However, I still forced a smile to look reluctant and as soon as I got a go ahead to join him, I grabbed my chopsticks and started eating. 

It was no surprise that the food tasted delicious, it was obvious he was a good cook. Nonetheless, I was marveled by his professionalism, although I have never dined in a five-star restaurant, I could assure that his food tasted better than most chefs out there.

After food, I wanted to hurriedly go to my room but was stopped by Lucas. He seemed to be having fun watching the movie as he signaled for me to join him, which was weird. Was the world coming to an end? I could swear it was.

....

 After having lunch and even dinner together, I still couldn't believe my eyes. It was almost like he had completely turned into a normal human being. Although we didn't talk through it, I still had fun, at least it was better than being cooped up in my room all day. Despite the fact that we basically lived under the same roof, the times I had seen him could be counted with fingers, and now that he was taking the initiative to get closer to me, I found it amusing.  It felt like staying in a room alone for about one and a half month had changed something in me, so much that his company lit up some excitement in me.

I wondered how long he must have lived here to be able to get used to the void, but I knew it wasn't my place to ask. After a while, I started to feel sleepy, and I said my goodnight, leaving him to himself.

..

Of course, I made sure to write the strange incident in my diary and I couldn't help but smile at the change. For the first time, there was nothing alcohol-related in my entry. I soon fell asleep, partly because I felt so happy to be at peace and the next morning I woke up feeling supercharged.

When I finished dressing up, I figured I still had a few minutes till ten, and I wondered if I should head downstairs, but I decided to play safe. I didn't want to break the somehow peaceful relationship that we had managed to build over the week.

Again, he was in the kitchen, with all the meal prepared. He even called me to join him, my joy knew no bounds and right at that time and I somehow hoped that life remains the same. However, so it did as over the week, Lucas and I exchanged more than five sentences in a day. Most of our time was spent watching TV and cooking, plus I had to knit and design clothes.

He stopped drinking, and our life went pretty normal too. It was surprising, to even the butler when I made known to him his progress so far. The smile that crept to his face made me suspect that something was not right, but I just couldn't place a finger on it.