25. Merry Christmas

Delilah gasped when she saw them appear at Nana's door. She brought a hand to her mouth, grinning. "Oh, my God," she then exclaimed, "oh, my God! Oh, my God!"

"Yes, yes, we get it." Alexander laughed, pushing an antsy Emma inside the house.

2 months hadn't been nearly enough to prepare her for this. Sure, she'd already met both Delilah and Margaret, but now, with that heavy ring in her purse, it was a whole different thing. Emma refused to wear it, it was just too valuable to risk losing it doing the dishes or whatever else.

Before she could dodge it, Emma found herself squeezed into a tight hug by Delilah, who'd pushed away her brother. "I missed you so much." Delilah confessed, head hidden behind Emma's neck.

The other woman smiled, awkwardly returning the warm embrace. It was still difficult to get used to the idea of joining a family, having one for the first time in years. She'd been delaying the meet-up as long as she could, but she couldn't push back Christmas Eve.

Even only seeing all the decorations and shopping for gifts had been a lot to take in. Now entering the warm ambiance of a homey place and being greeted with the fervor and happiness of a sister – it took all she had not to really cry.

"Okay, okay, enough." Alexander rolled his eyes, although happy to see their hug last so long. "We're going to be late for dinner."

Delilah stuck her tongue out to him, slowly pulling back, yet still holding Emma. "I haven't seen her in months," she said, squeezing her friend's hand with a grin, "you've been keeping her all to yourself."

It was only half true. Emma felt embarrassed. She'd tried to lay low as much as possible, and even though Alexander had restarted going to work and seeing his family, she still felt like a fugitive. Delilah texted her a lot, but she barely replied.

Part of her was afraid that if she left the apartment for more than a couple of hours a day, something inevitably catastrophic would happen and she'd lose it all. Nancy had been way too quiet for it to be a good sign.

"Right." Alexander said, not wanting to expose his fiancée by admitting the truth he knew too well. "Well, you girls catch up, I'll go see Nana." He announced, going into the kitchen.

When he was gone, Delilah pulled back entirely, grinning as she still squeezed Emma's hands. "Okay, where is it?"

"Where's what?"

Delilah rolled her eyes. "The ring!" She beamed, happy. "When Xander told me, I thought I was dreaming, but it's all true!" She jumped up and down, happy. "So, where is it?"

"Oh," Emma murmured, her cheeks flushed, "uh ... I ... it's in my bag."

"You don't wear it? Did you guys have it fitted? Mom had really slender fingers."

Emma cleared her throat, feeling slightly lightheaded. "I ... no, it's ... I just prefer to keep it safe."

Delilah frowned. "Don't be silly, it's meant to be worn."

"Yeah, but ... it's very valuable, and ..."

Her soon-to-be sister-in-law rolled her eyes once again. "He gave it to you, Emma. It means he thinks it will be safe with you." She pursed her lips, eyeing the door behind her, to be sure he wasn't at a range of ears. "Same as his heart."

"Delilah ..."

The young doctor smiled widely, then went to take off Emma's coat. "It's happening, Emma. I know it's hard to believe it, you said that, but it's really happening." Once she'd hung the coat, Delilah hooked her arm to Emma's, and together they walked into the living room, where Alexander and Margaret were conversing amiably. "Welcome to the Adams family." Delilah grinned cheekily. "Yes, I know how that sounds." She laughed.