The box in the attic

November 14, 2010

Jake unpacked his stuff looking around his new room. His mother had just inherited her childhood home from his late grandmother, even though he didn't like the idea of moving away he had to admit this house's huge size did ease the pain. "Jake get down here!" His mother yelled from the front yard. He dashed swiftly to her. "OK , take these boxes into the kitchen and this one to the attic." His mom ordered before he could even say a word. "Yes Mrs.Martiz, and would like anything else? A cup of tea perhaps?" He joked taking the boxes inside the house. He placed the box in the kitchen, and made his way up to the attic. He turned on the lights and placed the box in a far corner. He walked around looking at all the old dusty furniture. His gaze met an old mirror which he wiped off with his sleeve, looking in the mirror he could see his coal black hair was filled cobwebs and his blue eyes looked so bright in the drank attic. Making his way about the rest of the attic he came to a small wooden box, he picked it up examining it. It was a small oak box with a brass lock on the front, he shook the box hearing something move inside. He decided to take the box back down to his room.

Jake poked and prodded at the box trying to open it but it wouldn't budge. He grabbed a knife and started to try and pry it open but it did not work. Getting angry he threw the box across the room. It made a loud cracking noise before opening, out fell two journals stuffed with papers and a small jutted key. He ran over to pick up the journals and key looking at them with wonder. He opened one of the journals and blew the dust off. He read Text on the inside cover "The personal and private Journal of  Nikola Tesla." He said, then gasped. Tesla like the Tesla? He thought to himself flipping to the next page. His expectations were great expecting ideas for inventions, mathematical procedures, or brilliant thoughts, But instead He found Scribblings that made no sense. The other journal exactly the same. Nothing useful inside either, he threw it in his nightstand and went to unpack the rest  of his stuff.