Chapter two - It was always you (pt 2)

Armin

To say that Armin wasn't happy to see you would be a lie.

In fact, as he watched you shuffle into the college cafe, bag slung over your shoulder and glossy sheen of sweat across your cheeks, it would be a lie to say that his heart hadn't been utterly stolen by you. And when you smiled, eyes finding him across the tables stuffed with students already overworked on their first day back, it would be a lie to say that he didn't want to pull you into his arms then and there, and never let you go. 

"Armin, hey!" You took the seat across from him, perching your bag beside you in the cafe's small booth. You sounded so sweet to him. He'd heard you so many times - soft with sleep, bitter with anger. But in his more private thoughts, he'd often wondered how you would sound wrought with pleasure. Though, he'd never admit as much.

"Y/n, how was class?" he asked, passing you a small paper menu. "You had Hange right?"

Tilting your head back against the booth's leathery cushion, you nodded. "They were alright. Just about as enthusiastic as I remember."

Armin sat quiet and contented as you went off on a bit of a tangent about Hange babbling over topics very far from sociology. It seemed you two weren't as dissimilar as you were inclined to believe. The young man forced down an impish smile as he hummed his agreement, leaning forward to pour a glass of table water, before sliding it over to you. "I had them for a psychology class in my first semester, and their methods were certainly... interesting, to say the least."

You laughed, and if Armin didn't know better, he'd think he was intoxicated by the sound of it. As you thanked him for the water, taking a greedy gulp, he couldn't help but watch your throat as you swallowed, appreciating the action probably more than he should have.

"Anyway," you said, "How was your class?"

From there, he launched into his explanation of sensation and perception - one of the psychology units he was undertaking this semester. He appreciated how you sat and listened attentively, just as he had done for you. In fact, the easy flow of conversation between you two was something that Armin loved most about his days. You always knew just when to lend an ear, and just when to voice your thoughts. In short, a perfect friend.

The two of you had been close for nearly a year now, and spent many hours together each week, whether by studying, or relaxing, or just simply having fun. But somehow, for Armin, it still always felt as if you were just out of his reach. Despite being such good friends, a part of you would always be distant. Off limits.

You would always be just a friend.

After taking a few minutes to decide on a coffee each, he strolled up to the cafe counter, placing the order and paying. As always, you offered to cover it, but, as always, he refused. Money wasn't a big deal to him. He didn't mind paying for lunch every now and then if it let him see you smile.

Only, you weren't smiling. From his place at the counter, waiting for the order, Armin glanced over to find you fidgeting in your spot, a half-frown slapped on your face. It worried him. He'd thought maybe you two were just hanging out, though, perhaps there was something more to your sudden text to meet. After all, he had only seen you last night.

When you began to furrow your brow, gaze hovering on the view beyond the cafe windows, Armin knew something was up.

As he returned to the booth, steam billowing from the coffees in hand, your stare met his. It seemed... trepidatious. Planting his elbows on the smooth wood of the table, Armin held his face in his palms, the cuffs of his blue button-down tickling his cheeks. He watched you blow cool air on your drink before taking a few sips.