4 | ajak

[ there is some... spice at the end of the chapter. mild spice but still spice. also, there's some like religious imagery so my bad if that offends you.

anyway, thanks for sticking with my book, and i'm trying to pump out as many updates as i can without the plot being poorly thought out and rushed. keep letting me know what you think as i love reading your comments — and i'm def gonna love the comments at the end portion of this chapter ]

☽︎

"i don't care for what arishem says."

NOW

NOW

The trip from London to North Dakota gave the four Eternals plenty of time to catch up, swapping stories from over the years. Sprite hung on Khaos's words as she told tales of her time in the modern world that Ajak wouldn't quite approve of — ones of bar fights and using her shadows to trip muggers trying to flee the scene and marching at historical protests.

Yes, "don't interfere" hadn't stuck with Khaos at all.

Sprite dozed off in the back of the rental car as Khaos finished telling her about her most recent trip to New Asgard, paying a visit to her favorite God of Thunder for a round of Mario Kart with a rather funny Kronan warrior made of stone. Her head was leaning on Ikaris's shoulder, who every now and then grumbled about being stuck in the backseat. But Khaos had been the one to call shotgun, and he could hardly fight the ruling given that she was ahead by one on their count against Deviants.

Khaos had offered to drive, but her brother shut that down quickly. It was amazing how many minor accidents she had been in since the invention of the automobile — though they had lessened given the invention of the backup camera. She instead picked the music, opting for lots of Taylor Swift and Glee covers and ABBA to annoy her brother.

As they neared the small farmhouse that Ajak had settled down in, the sun began to set. It had been at least ten years since Khaos saw Ajak, so she was excited, planning to hug their leader at the first chance.

The four Eternals piled out of the car and approached the house. The lights were off, making them suspect Ajak had gone to bed early. Ikaris led them inside, keeping his eyes peeled for any disturbances.

"Hello," Sersi called, knowing that Ajak was a light sleeper and would hear them. "Ajak?"

"Something feels off," Khaos whispered, her sharp eyes seeing clearly in the darkness. The four scattered, searching the small, unusually quiet house for any sign of Ajak.

Sersi was the one to go outside, spotting the body in the backyard. They all heard her yell Ajak's name in horror and booked it outside. There, Sersi was standing over Ajak's greying, lifeless body.

Sprite fell to her knees, silent tears streaming down her face. Thousands of years on Earth and not a single one of them and ever died — now their leader's corpse was at their feet. Khaos's own legs grew shaky, but Ikaris held her up.