9 | gilgamesh

yes, i will be force feeding you khaos/ikaris content like gravel until the absolute last second because i want you to like him because i'm evil and this book is just as much about ikaris's relationship with her as it is druig's

☽︎

"we may be thousands of years old, but none of us has ever had a deeper or more profound thought than miss swift."

NOW

NOW

Khaos's feet touched the forest floor on the edge of the village and she booked it. It was easy to spot the Deviants given how much of a mess they were making. There were two of them, and given that Kingo and Sprite seemed to be handling one on their own, Khaos opted to aid Sersi, who was getting people to safety.

She had ushered as many people as she could into the meeting hall before fortifying it, turning it from wood to cement. Just in time too, as the Deviant crashed into the side of it.

"Where's my brother?" Khaos shouted, shadows sweeping out around her.

A moment later, a flying Deviant dragged Ikaris through the sky, disappearing into the treetops, giving Khaos her answer. Then their own Deviant lunged at Sersi.

Shadows shoved Sersi to the ground before latching onto the Deviant and throwing him into the hut that served as a blacksmith's forge. As if the team wasn't already stretched thin enough, another one appeared, this one with a scorpion-like stinger.

Sersi did her best to keep the first distracted by destroying and creating new things to fend it off and keep it from attacking more people. Khaos rolled and dodged her own Deviant's attacks while her shadows fought it off.

If only it weren't daylight. If only she weren't already injured. If only it couldn't heal.

As the Eternals fought, the sounds of gunshots caught their attention. The villagers, clearly being controlled as told by their gold eyes, were holding shotguns and shooting at the Deviants. Khaos wasn't quite sure how to feel about Druig's decision to involve them. On one hand, it was keeping Sersi semi-safe while she and Ikaris were preoccupied, but on the other —

The Deviant knocking a man into a brick wall, instantly killing him — that was the other hand.

Then Druig came. Druig the thinker. Druig the pacifist. Druig had shed his dark robe, leaving him in a sleeveless top that showed off his rarely used muscles. Perhaps Khaos could've defeated her own Deviant if she hadn't been distracted by how goddamn hot he looked as he vaulted over the Deviant, grabbed a gun, and jumped, doing a barrel roll over the Deviant once more as he shot it in the head.

Did it kill it? No. It was a basic shotgun. But was it hot? Very.

Khaos moved out of the way of her Deviant's stinger just in time, glad that it didn't get her. How embarrassing would that have been? Death by distracted by Druig's biceps. Khaos then lifted her own Deviant with her shadows and flung it into the side of the building Sersi had reinforced. Chunks of cement fell on it, crushing it under the weight.